What's your internet speed?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sorry to hear that. So far Verizon has treated us well. And since I'm currently not on a contract with them I can go with another provider at any time. But to be honest, I've gotten used to the high speeds and unlimited bandwidth.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sorry to hear that. So far Verizon has treated us well. And since I'm currently not on a contract with them I can go with another provider at any time. But to be honest, I've gotten used to the high speeds and unlimited bandwidth.

I already miss their on-screen guide, which was HD and very easy to use. The DVR controls were also much better. Going back to Comcast is like stepping down from a modern computer to a Commodore 64. It gets the job done, but it's so archaic looking. I'll get used to it, I guess.

If you do call them to get on a promotional rate, make sure you ask the person multiple times to give you the TOTAL, out-the-door, taxes and rental fees included, monthly cost. I had asked for this, but evidently I wasn't clear, because she quoted me without the tax, and this is what ultimately led to the bad blood. I ended up going to their so-called "executive escalation team", who, in essence, were only authorized to offer me a scant $120 correction for what was a $380 discrepancy (over the course of 2 years).

When I called to cancel today, they asked me why I was leaving... and after explaining the whole story, the rep said something like "that is ridiculous, I'm so sorry to hear that you had all this trouble. You're right, they really ought to do better by their customers. Unfortunately, I hear stories like this too often. I'll have to mention your case in my next staff meeting".

So, even their own reps know that the company has a significant issue with customer service and keeping their promises... but their management can't get it through their thick skulls.

What's amazing to me is that dealing with Verizon Wireless is completely different. It's truly like they're completely separate companies. Anytime I've ever had to do anything with VZW, even those times we've had disagreements, they've always done right by me in the end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's smoking fast, real nice. Right now the fastest I can obtain with Verizon (my ISP) is their 50 MBS package. After that the rates are for business connections which go all the way up to 100 MBS. Very $$$.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Before I had BT Infinity which is FTTC I was getting speeds of below 3Mb/s.
So its a massive improvement, but more expensive.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
After 7.... yes.... 7 calls to Comcast customer disservice, here is the new result....

...and I'm still not entirely certain that their craptastic WAP is actually disabled, though I can't detect a signal at the moment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Download = 2.95 Mbps
Upload = 0.37 Mbps
Ping = 45 ms

I have no idea what that means except to say that I run streaming video in full screen (70" LCD TV screen) with HD with very little buffering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M395X

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And what are you paying for those "warp" speeds? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) 4 GHz Intel Core i7 32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 AMD Radeon R9 M395X
I pay $89.95/Mo. It's a business class static IP Ultra 101/35 package. (Internet Only)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not bad. For those speeds down here, Verizon would want a quart of blood each month. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's not bad. For those speeds down here, Verizon would want a quart of blood each month. ;)

Yeah I know. The advantage here is that we have competition. Cable operators are fearful of Verizon FIOS which is an option here. So they have built-out DOCSIS 3.0 and made high-speed very attractive. There is also the option of high-speed ClearWire LTE service, which is not bad, but available practically everywhere in the city; another option is DSL.

Competition for Internet access drives prices down and keeps nonsense like caps away.

Reaction score

I have a 27" IMAC from 10/2009 and Airport Extreme.
After my computer sits sits idle for a few minutes, my internet connection closes. I receive a message that I am not connected to the internet and after less than a minutes it says I am connected. Frequently web pages are very slow to open or even fail to open. I had Comcast come out and check their modem as my Airport Extreme seems to be working fine. Any ides what is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I receive a message that I am not connected to the internet and after less than a minutes it says I am connected.
Get familiar with the lights on your cable modem when things are working, and see if they are different when you lose the connection. Does a green light turn red or amber? Does one start or stop flashing?

If there is no difference in those lights, look into Airport Utility, see what Airport Extreme is doing. For instance; does your public IP change? These would be clues to solving the problem.

Reaction score
SailingCyclops I checked the lights on my Comcast modem and that never changes. The IP address seems to always remain the same. But frequently when computer seems to have trouble connecting then when I use diagnostics I receive a connected message.
When I click on the WiFi symbol on top right of computer I always see a twirling circle. Is that normal?
Thank you for any assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
My 10-yr old P.O.S. cable modem (Tarayon) died on me Sunday morning so I picked up a Motorla SB6141 at Target. My download/upload speeds have improved 50% just from a newer/better modem. :) I could step up to premium internet package, but I'm not complaining about 30mb/s download and 11mb/s up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SailingCyclops I checked the lights on my Comcast modem and that never changes.
That's a good sign It means that your Comcast Internet connection is likely Ok.

The IP address seems to always remain the same.
You are referring to your public address right? If so, that's more evidence that your Comcast connection is Ok.

But frequently when computer seems to have trouble connecting then when I use diagnostics I receive a connected message.
Let's see if I understand this correctly. When you can't connect with Safari, you get an error message. WHAT error message? Does Safari say your Internet connection is down? Or does Safari say it can't find the site?

Then, you click "Diagnose Internet Connection" in Safari right? At that point the diagnostics reports all is well, and you then see the website you couldn't get to before. Yes?

When I click on the WiFi symbol on top right of computer I always see a twirling circle. Is that normal?
Thank you for any assistance.
Not normal, and this is most likely your problem. When you click on the WiFi icon you should get a list of available WiFi networks. If WiFi is off, you should be presented with the option to turn WiFi on. Getting a beach ball says OSX can't open up WiFi networking preferences.

What is providing your WiFi network? Do you have a wireless enabled router connected between your Comcast Modem and your computer? What make/model? Or does the Comcast Cable Modem provide you with WiFi?

Can you connect your computer directly to the Comcast Modem with an ethernet cable? If so, does the intermittent access trouble disappear?

It's difficult diagnosing a network issue without knowing more details about your setup. However, the beach ball is a strong clue. What version of OSX? What computer? What if any router? EXACT error messages?

Reaction score
OS X 10.7.5
27" IMAC from Oct 2009
Airport Extreme model # A1354
Comcast modem

Comcast Modem is connected to Airport Extreme with an Ethernet cable. And Airport Extreme is connected to computer through WiFi.

When web pages are slow to load and I will often receive a message that I am not connected to the internet. I cannot get the computer to do it tonight( naturally) but it occurs every day multiple times. I don't think the message is from Safari. I believe it is a computer generated message that the WiFi is not on. I'm given a box to click on to check on network diagnostics and then I'm told I am connected.
When I click on the network icon In the menu baron upper right,WiFi looking for networks is lighter gray and the twirling circle is to the right of that. Below is: Turn WiFi Off. Then there a list of networks with my network checked.

Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X 10.7.5
27" IMAC from Oct 2009
Airport Extreme model # A1354
Comcast modem

Comcast Modem is connected to Airport Extreme with an Ethernet cable. And Airport Extreme is connected to computer through WiFi.
Ok, it looks like your computer is having a hard time connecting to your WiFi. This could be due to interference. I would begin by changing the channel your Airport is using. In Airport Utility. Go to Wireless ==> Wireless Options. There you will find the option to select the channel. Choose one you are not using. If it says "Automatic" choose channel 4, it's not generally used.

Also In Airport Utility under Wireless you will see the SSID of your 2.4Ghz Tranciever. My SSID is -- Robert's Wi-Fi Network -- go to Wireless ==>Wireless Options and check the 5GHZ Network name box, put a different name in the box to the right. I use -- Robert's Wi-Fi Network 5GHz --

This way, you can select either the 2.4 or the 5 GHZ WiFi systems available with Airport. You should then see both networks when you go to select a wifi network to go online.

Try changing between the 2.4 and 5GHZ (which should be easy after you give them different names), and try changing the channel numbers. That may help if radio interference is your issue.

There is a program called WiFi Scanner by AccessAgility LLC. It is a fantastic tool to scan the WiFi bands to see what systems are using what channels, so you can tell which ones are clear and what power levels they are transmitting on.

Let us know how you fare, and good luck.

EDIT: P.S. I assume that this worked at one time and that you have Airport ==> Internet ==> connect using DHCP yes?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.