What's your internet speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Gotta hang on then Brent until I am darn near eighty lol!

NBN is at Coffs Harbour, 50 clicks north, and Macksville, 15 clicks south but in the middle three years before they start unless Tony tears it all down!

He is going to stuff it isn't he. Why on earth have FO all the way to the front yard then bottle neck it as it enters your home with the old copper. To save a couple of Billion thats why, and if thats so, why put it in in the first place.
Im totally confused at this, and hope I'm in if he gets in :(

Now those speeds above is what ill be looking at in KA town of 5500

Last edited:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
These are my updated results with the switch to FiOS. I have the 50/25 package and I'm connecting to my AEBS over a WiFi connection..

That would tick me off. I haven't opted for their "Quantum" upgrade offer yet, because I need to call them to negotiate my next 2 year contract (and they're going to throw that in for free, whether they know it now or not). But right now, those results are what I'm seeing with my 30Mb package.

Again, over WiFi:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been receiving eMails and postal ads from Verizon for the Quantum upgrade. They claim it's only going to cost an additional $10 per month. Don't you believe it. By the time they add local, state, and federal taxes, that $10 becomes more like $20. Good luck on your next contract. I can't get Verizon to give anything for free around here, although they did upgrade my equipment to the latest and greatest. And actually that was done by a Verizon tech who just happened to be a good guy.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm told that they compete pretty fiercely with Comcast in this area. So, we'll see. Frankly, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep moving back to Comcast. If that's how they want to play, then I'm game.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That would tick me off. I haven't opted for their "Quantum" upgrade offer yet, because I need to call them to negotiate my next 2 year contract (and they're going to throw that in for free, whether they know it now or not). But right now, those results are what I'm seeing with my 30Mb package.

Again, over WiFi:

I did try it with a hard connection to the FiOS router and I got well over 50/25 consistently, so that being the case and me getting 30 Mbps both ways through WiFi is perfectly fine with me..:)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did try it with a hard connection to the FiOS router and I got well over 50/25 consistently, so that being the case and me getting 30 Mbps both ways through WiFi is perfectly fine with me..:)

Oh nice. Well, now all you have to do is get a real router and you'll be rocking! (with insincere apologies to AEBS users... ;) )

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Oh nice. Well, now all you have to do is get a real router and you'll be rocking! (with insincere apologies to AEBS users... ;) )

Haha..:) I could drop the AEBS easily since the FiOS router does have provide wireless which I turned off to keep the AEBS operating in bridged mode.

Though, now that you've got me thinking, I might turn off the AEBS for a bit to see if my speeds increase or decrease of the FiOS router's WiFi..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha..:) I could drop the AEBS easily since the FiOS router does have provide wireless which I turned off to keep the AEBS operating in bridged mode.

Though, now that you've got me thinking, I might turn off the AEBS for a bit to see if my speeds increase or decrease of the FiOS router's WiFi..

If your FIOS router is like mine, it's only got a single antenna, which means no MIMO support, and therefore, it's going to be significantly underpowered. Additionally, I don't believe mine supports WPA2.

Personally, I turned off the wireless radio in settings, disabled the craptastic firewall, unscrewed the antenna and simply ran Ethernet to my Netgear N900 and put it on a different subnet. That pretty much excludes me from running the FIOS remote app, but it's otherwise pretty transparent and the FIOS router just acts as a modem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Updated result on Comcast. They gave me a free bump, and want to bump me to 50Mbps for free for 2 years by signing a contract. They're scrambling to lock people in as Google Fiber is coming here.

261604102.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My problem with Comcast, Charter, and AT&T (all are present in our area) is that they have a habit of throttling customers back during peak usage times or if you're a heavy user. They all offer the 50 Mbps download speed for less than what Verizon charges for the same FIOS speeds. The difference is that Verizon does not throttle back its users and always has plenty of bandwidth.

I can't speak for Comcast, but I have been a former customer of both AT&T and Charter. Both (around here) have terrible customer support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Having BT Infinity installed on Monday - currently get 2-3 Mbps - lets hope for more on Monday evening.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
and so it is - 37.17 Mbps download, and 7.17 upload.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Renewed my contract with Verizon. Check this out:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those are great speeds. I guess I need to periodically check mine to make sure Verizon is giving me what I'm paying for. I've no reason to complain though since they've been very receptive to all that I've asked them to do - even upgrading and installing the latest FIOS equipment at the house.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back on Comcast and it's not so "Comcastic"... supposed to be getting 50Mb/s and here's what it actually is:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What happened to your FIOS connection Chris? Did you and Verizon have a falling out?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Long story, made short... Yes, we had quite a spectacular disagreement that culminated in complaints filed with the state PUC, AG's office and the BBB. Evidently Verizon still doesn't know how to keep a customer happy.

The end result was they released me from the renewed contract.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.