I think I got it?

1205 speedtest.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook OS X 10.6.8 | 3rd gen iPod
Best connection I've gotten so far:

2072504339.png

Pingtest

This is all through a Community Colleges student wireless, much better than home's wireless ~5mbps Download, ~1mbps Upload. :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 1.7 GHz Core i5, 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 - Lion 10.7.4; Thunderbolt Display; 2011 iMac base w/SSD
Using Time Capsule wireless connection on this one.

This is the best of 10 tests. Most have download speed around 25 to 40 mbps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Im back to my iPhone Hotspot :( Bugger all to be honest atm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2011 iMac with 4GB RAM
This is on my ethernet connection at home;

2088525024.png

(outdated link removed)

Reaction score
How accurate are these speed tests. I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.
I am only 4 months into owning a MAC, are there settings they may be restricting my data flow from the modem?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How accurate are these speed tests.

Fairly. It depends on how close the server is, and how busy it is while you're running your test.

I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.
I am only 4 months into owning a MAC, are there settings they may be restricting my data flow from the modem ?

Probably not. Experiment with different servers and see if there's a difference. Also, if there are other devices on your network and/or other apps that are consuming bandwidth on your Mac, that will impact your result as well. Every device, every app, gets a slice of the overall pie.

Reaction score
I tested it by disconnecting my router from the modem and plugged my iMac directly into the modem. I actually had the exact same results as when plugged into the router. I tend to believe the read outs on the Mac when I am uploading and downloading are accurate. This morning before any other devises were running I tested again and still only 90 kb/sec

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tested it by disconnecting my router from the modem and plugged my iMac directly into the modem. I actually had the exact same results as when plugged into the router. I tend to believe the read outs on the Mac when I am uploading and downloading are accurate. This morning before any other devises were running I tested again and still only 90 kb/sec

OK, which tool are you looking at? The Speedtest.net site, or the transfer rate of your NIC within network utility?

Also, do you have any other apps running during the test? Even stuff like Mail can be trying to do a transfer when you're testing.

Reaction score
I have used speedtest.net to test and it's results are good. well within what I am paying for. The speeds I am talking about are at the bottom of the widow of the program that is either downloading or uploading the files on my iMac. I am not sure what NIC in the network utility is, I am pretty new to MAC. but very familiar with PC's. But I don't use them anymore. anyway these speeds shown are accurate because I have timed them and did them math.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used speedtest.net to test and it's results are good. well within what I am paying for. The speeds I am talking about are at the bottom of the widow of the program that is either downloading or uploading the files on my iMac. I am not sure what NIC in the network utility is, I am pretty new to MAC. but very familiar with PC's. But I don't use them anymore. anyway these speeds shown are accurate because I have timed them and did them math.

When you're measuring with the speeds noted in the bottom of the window, what application is that? A browser? Bitorrent client?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How accurate are these speed tests. I have recently switched ISP and they claim via these tests that I am getting what I am paying for, however when I connect my iMac directly to the cable modem I still get nowhere near the promised upload speed and at best about 1/2 the promised download speed.

If your internet cable modem service is thru a cable TV provider...in many areas this is a "shared" service. Which means if many of your neighbors are busy doing internet related things on their computers...your internet speeds will be affected (slowed down).

Your speed shouldn't "slow to a crawl"...but speeds may not be optimal (or the maximum your internet provider advertises). Many cable providers advertise internet speeds with the slogan..."Up to xxx speed/second". They usually do not advertise minimums.

- Nick

Reaction score
When you're measuring with the speeds noted in the bottom of the window, what application is that? A browser? Bitorrent client?

Mostly what ever window that opens when I perform the download or up load. The Download window open on my desk top with a status bar showing the speed and amount of data has moved.

When up loading, the server I'm connected to has a status bar as well. and when I use filezilla it gives me both speeds up and down as the files move.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mostly what ever window that opens when I perform the download or up load. The Download window open on my desk top with a status bar showing the speed and amount of data has moved.

When up loading, the server I'm connected to has a status bar as well. and when I use filezilla it gives me both speeds up and down as the files move.

Pretty sure that's your issue.

The effective transfer speed is not a function of your ISP alone. It's also a function of the server you're connecting to and the latency of the connection (i.e. I may have a 10 lane highway, but I'm going to get back and forth to Philadelphia a heck of a lot faster than to Los Angeles). Also, you probably don't know how much bandwidth that server has, nor do you know how many clients it's serving (further dividing the bandwidth).

If Speedtest.net is right on the money, then I doubt you have a problem of quality of service with your ISP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro (2009)
I've just moved from Sky to Virgin in the UK

Sky estimated I'd get 8mb but actually got 2mb on a good day .... So im really happy with the speeds Virgin are giving me. 100+mb all day long.

2094007743.png

Reaction score
All that does make since to me and not surprising, however.. I find it strange that no matter what server I am up loading to I can only get 90KB/sec transfer. I'd love to find a way to test this other than speedtest.net

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All that does make since to me and not surprising, however.. I find it strange that no matter what server I am up loading to I can only get 90KB/sec transfer. I'd love to find a way to test this other than speedtest.net

Is that 90 kilobits or kilobytes? What is the service rated for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I was getting 3Mbps which I thought was OK, but recently (last 2 weeks or so) speeds have dropped and I'm now only getting 0.1 Mbps on average (10.8.2 and iOS6 took over 3 and 7 hours each to download respectively!!).

I found that unplugging and replugging my connection temporarily boosted speed but that no longer works and if anything results in slower speeds.

Unfortunately when cabling the area where I live, it was installed to the corner of my street but no further :Angry: or I'd switch to Virgin given their speeds.

At the moment, I just want my 3Mbps back!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I just had to state how pleased I am with the LTE speeds on my iPhone 5 (AT&T). I'm a little ways outside of Phoenix, AZ at work right now and I used the speed test app while getting 3 bars out of 5 for the signal.

Tested 3 times.
Downloads = 9.83, 9.81, 11.58
Uploads = 3.31, 3.26, 3.25

Not too shabby.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.