What's your internet speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Doesn't get any better than this. Costs me about $40 a month.

thumbup2.gif
I/We sure wouldn't mind getting that at that price, especially if it was in Canadian dollars. Nice.

We used to pay about double that price for less speeds until we asked for a price break.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Around here we have Frontier FIOS (formerly Verizon), Spectrum (formerly Charter) AT&T, and Comcast. Depends on where you're located in the Metro area. Prices are pretty much the same for all the ISPs which include high speed internet, TV, and VOIP. Average price for a bundle (Internet, TV, and VOIP) is around $150 - $170 per month. TV prices vary because of the premium channels like HBO, Stars, NFL, NHL, etc.

Around here my water, sewage, garbage monthly bill is sometimes higher than my TV, Internet. Water prices here in Fort Worth and also Dallas are ridiculous. Don't even try to keep your lawn green in the Summer! LOL

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Utility costs plus petrol and food are one of the main reasons we are living here in Bali. Proximity to Australia and the climate are also major reasons but it's the cost of living that really makes the difference.

Per month;
Electricity (prepaid) $100.00
Gas/12Kg bottle $13.50
Mobile phones $20.00
Water and Internet
including line rental,
home phone and
Indihome
entertainment
Package $100.00
Electricity $200.00
Petrol approx $30.00
Pool service $40.00

Total AU$503.00

Anybody jealous yet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M2 16GB Memory Apple M2 Chip, Somona
This is my speed Screen Shot 2018-12-06 at 12.12.20 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Utility costs plus petrol and food are one of the main reasons we are living here in Bali. Proximity to Australia and the climate are also major reasons but it's the cost of living that really makes the difference.

Per month;
Electricity (prepaid) $100.00
Gas/12Kg bottle $13.50
Mobile phones $20.00
Water and Internet
including line rental,
home phone and
Indihome
entertainment
Package $100.00
Electricity $200.00
Petrol approx $30.00
Pool service $40.00

Total AU$503.00

Anybody jealous yet?

Not jealous at all. Just pleased for you. You are obviously happy and how many of can say that. Enjoy.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Looks like your internet speed has improved Dittoman1 (since 2018).:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like your internet speed has improved Dittoman1 (since 2018).:)

- Nick
Yes new modem update and really nice and fast. Did speed test with modem 25 feet in other room. Not bad Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.02.49 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Like most ISPs, mine limits the upload transfer rate as well:

speedtest.jpg

The download transfer rate is more than enough for streaming services, but...

If I cancel my cable TV, the cost of internet access more than double. The cable company justifies this as no more package deal.

The streaming services are becoming more and more like cable companies, modifying channel line up, increase cost, etc., constantly:

With the costly internet access and at least two streaming services, my cost is pretty much the same as cable TV package deal. There are couple of advantages for streaming, like UHD, but I don't have any UHD TVs. Well, other than 40" Samsung TV that used as monitor for a Windows box...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 5.38.44 PM.png

I pay for 100 Mbps up and down and I seem to be getting it. This is over a 5G WiFi connection on my Mac Mini and I have Verizon FiOS.

We have about 22 odd devices on the network. Some of them are on the 2.4G network, while the bulk of the computers and iOS devices are on the 5G network.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Service through our cable company. It varies a bit, but usually is right about here ED51436D-A225-4ED0-BF94-A0EC7E333D20.jpeg

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 13, iPhone SE 2, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Wow, talk about ongoing interest in a topic. This thread dates back to 2011. Back then bobtomay was getting a 28.60Mbps download rate now we are talking download rates of 300-450Mbps. I'm still getting download rates of 10-20Mbps in Australia which is more than enough for 2 MBP's, 2 iPhones, 2 smart TV's and 2 iPads on an unlimited plan for AU$49.50/month. We live stream Netflix most nights on the "Standard" plan AU$14.00/month (thats HD to two devices).
Why would anyone need 400Mbps in a domestic situation?
Are we paying for more than we need?
We are talking about Gigabyte internet here in Australia at the moment but I have always considered that would be for industry and office not domestic conditions. I mean in plain terms I can only receive as fast as the data is sent and with for example the Australian Apple Servers the maximum download speed I can achieve is around 2Mbps so what do I need a 250Mbps plan for? Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 10.02.51 am.png

My TV in the bedroom is receiving its signal on 2.4GHz while this above test was performed on 5GHz band in the lounge room.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
@Rod...

That's easy, the need for speed.... ;)

There are couple reasons for the higher speed. One is software/OS updates in the GBs range and other is streaming UHD movies. Managing websites with media content, playing games online, sharing the access, etc., are other reasons.

It's like lot of things in life, that you didn't even know they existed. Once you get them, it's hard live without them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
There is one sneaky little "trick" in the way Macs use networking. I use both WiFi and Ethernet for my connections (I have an Apple Watch, so I need the Wifi for unlocking but the ethernet is faster, by far, than Wifi.) In System Preferences, Network, the box on the right side shows all connections, in the order in which they are used by the system. That bold part is important, in that if WiFi is at the top and there is a wifi connection, the system will use that, even if Ethernet is connected. There is a little gear icon at the bottom of the window and if you click on that gear, a menu shows up, on which one option is "Set Service order..." Click on that and drag/drop the interfaces to put them in the order you want them. I put the fastest first, then next, etc. Apply the changes and now when you go back to the Network screen the order should sort the way you put it and your system will use the chosen interface first.

krs

Reaction score
Are we paying for more than we need?

I have asked myself that many times aswell when I see people posting their 1 gb/s speed test results.

I currently have 100/10 fiber at $35.- Cdn - special discount deal.
When that deal is finished and if I can't latch on to another one, I will probably go for the 50/10 plan.

The ISP upped my plan to 500/500 for one month for free - speed test over WiFi showed about 350 Mb/s which I assume was the WiFi limit. But in practice, websites didn't load any faster.
Sure - if one needs to download a new macOS for instance a faster speed will cut down the time, but even for that - I just make myself a cup of coffee and the download is done when I come back.
Needing that the odd time doesn't justify paying a premium every month in my mind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I'm presently at a pretty high speed, but that's because I need the UPLOAD speed for a video steam my wife is doing for her business. At 10Mbps, it was jerky and blocky. I moved up to 30Mbps and it is now smooth as silk. Here is what I tested out to be:
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 10.52.22 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most ISPs will advertise a number of download speed tiers for which you can choose and pay extra for. While download speeds can be as high or higher than what Jake is getting, it's rare to get that kind of speed on upload.

My FIOS speeds are generally in the neighborhood of: 100 Mbps Download and 102 Mbps Upload. (Just tested a moment ago.)

I used to have a much higher download speed but that was costly and I did not see any difference from my current download speed. My upload speeds have always been around 100 Mbps.

krs

Reaction score
In Canada, Bell offers symmetrical up/down speeds except for the very fastest.
But Virgin Mobile, which is a Bell subsidiary, only offers up to 100/10 at a lower price using the identical infrastructure, fiber-to-the-home in my case.
They are trying to cover as much of the market as possible.
With cable internet and the lower speeds, upload speeds are always much less than download speeds in the offered plans.

Gosh - when I think back to the "good old days" of dial up and the big event when we upgraded to a 56K modem...and then DSL!!!
Wow - one could now be on the net and talk on the phone at the same time!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I consistently get about 420 Mbps download and 40 Mbps upload. Our provider also offers several tiers of plans to choose from, including gigabit.

We made some changes to our plan a while ago and looked at gigabit speed. There are a couple of things I'd say to anyone considering paying for gigabit speeds:

1. Once you get much over 300 - 400 Mbps, most people won't notice a difference unless they have multiple devices streaming simultaneously.
2. Most providers aren't actually delivering gigabit-speed consistently.
3. If your router and modem are more than a few years old, you will likely have to upgrade them to take full advantage of higher speed tiers. We upgraded the modem recently because the old one was no longer going to be supported. We're good on the modem supporting max speed, but the router won't handle gigabit speed. It's only about 4 years old but maxes out about 650 Mbps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.