Macbook Pro display problems

Reaction score
I have recently bought a new Thunderbolt Macbook Pro 13", with the slower processor and otherwise standard. I live in Belize, so bought it on Amazon and had it delivered to a friend in the US who brought it down for me. So although I've only just got it, I've owned it for a couple of months.

My problem is the display. It's awful, with deeply over-saturated colours (especially red) and grossly excessive contrast. But it doesn't respond to re-calibration. I've tried, friends with their own Macbooks have tried, and so has a generalist computer engineer here. It was suggested that I try re-installing the OS - I did, with absolutely no effect. It's still awful, and I still can't change it (well, I can change it, but not get it anywhere near acceptable).

So my question is, is there something else I can try or do I have somehow to get this brand new machine back to Apple in the US? And will they then replace it, or repair it and give me back a machine that looks used?

My difficulties are compounded by the fact that the power supply failed this evening, on just its fourth use. And of course they are not available anywhere in this country. Am I unlucky, or is this par for the course with Mac computers (or Apple products in general)?

For the amount this machine cost, I could have bought a pretty up-market Windows machine, and currently that is what I wish I had done. I have had countless Windows laptops over the years - I currently own two - and have never before had a machine with a display that wasn't approximately correctly calibrated out-of-the-box.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, I've solved it! Although the machine was brand new from Apple, it seems the OS wasn't installed properly. I deleted everything on the HD (something that Apple make far more difficult than it need be) and reinstalled the OS and Bingo - it works.

Mind you, during the process of installing the new OS the power supply failed, so I'm not out of the woods yet. A few weeks ago I bought a spare power supply for a Windows laptop - it cost less than $3 on Amazon. I see that a power supply for this Mac also on Amazon is almost $77! Why on earth is it so expensive? It's cheap Chinese rubbish carrying a premium price tag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
You got a lemon. MacBooks should not have these problems within the first few months if ever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.