Spreadsheet

Reaction score
What is a straightforward, easy to use spreadsheet or database? I need date, currency and txt columns and easy sort for my medical records. I will have abt 2000 records. I am very busy and don't have time to learn a complex program. Excel is too complex. It changes my data, the help is not useful, and I don't need the time consuming hassle. I suppose there is an Apple spreadsheet, but I don't have it.
Should I get the Apple spreadsheet or go for something else. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved to the correct forum as it does not belong in the "Lounge". We ask that you read forum descriptions and Sticky notices in each forum before posting. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
well, there is Numbers which is a simpler version of Excel. If you want your spreadsheets to be fully compatible though, you will have to create them in Excel.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm not sure I completely follow your post. Excel is only as complicated as you need it to be. The columns and sort functions you just described would be simple to do in Excel and are fairly fundamental spreadsheet functions - and I'm sure someone here or and the Excel forums could easily walk you through it. I don't see a point in getting a different package - since you already have Excel. Database functions are another matter entirely. Do you have any experience at all using a spreadsheet?

Maybe take a few seconds - describe what you're trying to do - and how your data 'changed' - and I'd bet someone here can sort you out pretty quickly. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I agree with Brian, we need a bit more info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Open Office is always an option. Free download!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Free options: OpenOffice (now replaced by Libre Office), NeoOffice, Google Docs.

Paid options: MS Office for Mac, Numbers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
I'm not sure I completely follow your post. Excel is only as complicated as you need it to be. The columns and sort functions you just described would be simple to do in Excel and are fairly fundamental spreadsheet functions - and I'm sure someone here or and the Excel forums could easily walk you through it. I don't see a point in getting a different package - since you already have Excel. Database functions are another matter entirely. Do you have any experience at all using a spreadsheet?

Maybe take a few seconds - describe what you're trying to do - and how your data 'changed' - and I'd bet someone here can sort you out pretty quickly. :)

Excel is an excellent database, trust me, and quite easy to learn.

I've taught MS Office (primarily Word, Excel, Publisher, and Access) at the high school level for years. If 14 and 15-year-olds can master this software and learn it as a spreadsheet and database tool, anyone can. It's just learning it with the right approach and at the right pace.

And I happen to like to use BIG pictures.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Excel is an excellent database, trust me, and quite easy to learn.

I've taught MS Office (primarily Word, Excel, Publisher, and Access) at the high school level for years. If 14 and 15-year-olds can master this software and learn it as a spreadsheet and database tool, anyone can. It's just learning it with the right approach and at the right pace.

And I happen to like to use BIG pictures.

I'm not sure what part of my post this is directed at - so I don't know how to respond.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Agreeing with you wholeheartedly, that's all. Many people get all willy-nilly about Excel and think it's just a spreadsheet, albeit a very powerful one if you know how to use all of its functions.

It can be a very basic and friendly database for those that don't want to mess with Access. Personally, I got frustrated with Access, which is why I always tended to use Excel instead. I liked it a whole lot more, and it always gave me what I wanted.

I could keep track of over 1000 kids attending prom by individual and date name, ticket number, and date of ticket sold. I had that database sorted and printed in so many ways that there were no security issues at our event. That was just one of the many ways I used Excel to make my life easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.