New, and have some really NEWBIE questions

Reaction score
I just bought my first MAC, - I got the G5, but i'm having a problem downloading software - I downloaded AIM ok, but i'm trying to download some freeware for my iPod, and I can't seem to open it - the downloading box appears, and looks like it's finished - then the icon is on my desktop, I then drag that into the "Applications" area - but it doesn't do anything - I have the icon, AND a .dmg file...

i'm so long!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
you need to open the .dmg file and then drag the contents in to the application folder.

OP
N
Reaction score
fearlessfreap24 said:
you need to open the .dmg file and then drag the contents in to the application folder.

another stupid question (I've never done this before) how do I open it - I have the .dmg file sitting in the applications folder...but I can't seem to do anything with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NewtoMac said:
another stupid question (I've never done this before) how do I open it - I have the .dmg file sitting in the applications folder...but I can't seem to do anything with it.
Just double click on it and then it should mount on your Desktop. It will look like a white hard disk type icon. When you double click on that icon, it will open in a Finder window and you should see your application. Then you can drag that application to the Applications folder.

OP
N
Reaction score
ok, I have the white icon on my desktop - it's "PodUtil" incase that helps you...*It's an iPod applicaton*

if I click on it - I get this pop up that says "drag to applications folder" - EVERY time - I opened the folder manually, but I keep getting the same message..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NewtoMac said:
ok, I have the white icon on my desktop - it's "PodUtil" incase that helps you...*It's an iPod applicaton*

if I click on it - I get this pop up that says "drag to applications folder" - EVERY time - I opened the folder manually, but I keep getting the same message..
OK, the "popup" you are seeing is the Finder window. You should see some sort of icon or picture or folder in the window. Click and drag that to your Applications folder.

OP
N
Reaction score
LMAO - I feel SO stupid, yet so happy! thank you SO much! this is stressful - but I really appreciate your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NewtoMac said:
LMAO - I feel SO stupid, yet so happy! thank you SO much! this is stressful - but I really appreciate your help!
Glad to see you got it worked out.

I would offer this suggestion though, there is (in my opinion) a better app out there that does the same thing that PodUtil does, and it is Freeware...not Shareware like PodUtil.
I would reccommend downloading Senuti. You can get that from www.versiontracker.com, just put Senuti in the search field.

OP
N
Reaction score
thanks! I wish I saw that before I started the process....if it doesn't go well, i'll look into it!

You made my night though!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another vote for Senuti! I used PodUtil before and Senuti was so much more powerfull and it's free to boot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
that is why he is the member of the month

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.