Internal and external storage strategy for mini

Reaction score
This is my plan for my mac mini:

- keep the internal HD at 320GB with OS and app things on it only. It should be underutilized with tons of free space for OS and so be fairly fast.
- get one external 2TB FW-800 HD for the home folder including iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie collection of files. (I have got a large collection of SD family video files.)
- get another 2TB FW-800 HD for time machine and a small partition to keep copy of the OS hard drive.

I will do some iMovie editing, nothing pro, from time to time.

I was also thinking about one 3-4TB ext. drive instead of the two independent enclosures but I think having two separate enclosures is less likely to loose all the data (in case of some enclosure power failure ).

Will it do the job? Any better way? (I would like Mac Pro and keep HDs inside but it is too expensive.)

Do you recommend getting a 3rd HD to be stored offsite or in some fire safe? Or alternatively store the 2nd ext. HD in a fire safe and plug it in once a while for time machine sync up?

Any comments are appreciated!

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I can comment on some of your questions, but others more worthy and experienced will no doubt deal with the "bigger" issues.

I admit to being almost "pathological" about backups because loss of an accumulated experience of 30+ years' material would be near catastrophic for me.

So this is my meagre contribution:

Treat your mac mini IHD in the way I use my iMac SSD - store the OS, applications and personal folder (the bit that mustn't be moved.

Move your Documents and libraries (iPhoto, Aperture, iMovie etc) to a dedicated 2TB EHD. (Call it EHD1)

A second dedicated EHD2 (like you said) could be used for Time Machine, but as you have things configured above, TM will only back up your IHD, I think - not your EHD (others will correct me if I'm wrong).

What I would do would be to purchase a third EHD, partition it into two - purchase SuperDuper! and clone the IHD to one partition and the iPhoto etc EHD1 to the other partition.

That way, you've two back up systems working in different ways. Moreover, SuperDuper! makes the partition containing the OS reboot-able. Very handy.

I'm not a great fan of off-site storage or fire safes in a domestic situation. Others may disagree, but you can't ever be risk-zero!

Finally, I must state that I have no connection with the IT industry and no financial or any other interests in SuperDuper! or any other company whatsoever.

These are my simple thoughts. The more learned will take things further. I do very much want to compliment you on taking backups seriously.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.