Macbook Pro 15 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo Display PROBLEMS!!!

Reaction score
Hello all! I have a serious issue with my Macbook Pro Display. When I open my MB or when I turn it on, a line forms three quarters up from the bottom of the display and is completely black (with the top quarter screen fine). Then, a second or so passes, and the three-quarters black portion of the screen turns from black back to color - but instead of a clear picture, I get a plaid-like distortion. (I will post a picture.)

This has been happening for a couple of months. I was able to fix the problem by just tapping on the display casing - either the top or sides. (As the problem continued, I found myself having to tap progressively harder - though not to the point of tearing anything up!) Finally, two weeks ago I took it in to the Genius Bar. They replaced the logic board, saying it was faulty. The fix cost me nothing. When I got home and opened the display, I had the same problem. I tapped the display and it went away.

I found that everything was okay given that I either: 1) didn't close and reopen the MB and 2) especially transport it. The jarring from the latter seemed to cause the line and distortion to form.

Now, I've bought a new MB but I want to fix the problem. I cannot understand why: 1) I can 'tap' the problem away sometimes and cannot other times and 2) transporting the laptop seems to cause the problem.

Please HELP. I great big thanks in advance!

Photo on 2011-05-16 at 21.31.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Take it back - my guess - a misdiagnosis the first time around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Agreed - I'd have them replace the display clamshell. It appears to be a faulty video cable, probably worn or damaged in the hinge assembly from opening and closing. The display should be a whole unit replacement, take one screen off, drop another one on.

Reaction score
My girlfriend just had some major problems on her MBP display. The Apple store said her model (about 3 years old) had a graphics card that was faulty and are replacing it now free of charge even though it's well after warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
Well since they replaced the logic board for you they should blame themselves and replace the clamshell for you. But it is either a problem with the cable or the LCD. If they wont fix it for you it should only be a $100 to do it yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.