Problem creating PDFs from Word

Reaction score
I am on a brand new MacBook Pro, having had a regular MacBook previously.

I have Microsoft Word 2011 on the new MacBook and am trying to create a PDF from a Word document, as I have many times in the past with my regular MacBook.

When I create a PDF in Word (using the Print-->Save as PDF option, or just the Save As option and choosing PDF), the PDF looks fine through Preview, but when I send it to another person, the file isn't the same. This has happened with multiple files created, and sent to multiple people. The error message they get is:

"Cannot extract the embedded font QOYHYW+MyriadPro-Regular. Some characters may not display or print correctly."

I also can't fax these through my fax service - the faxes fail due to failed image conversion.

I never had this problem on my MacBook, and am only having it on this MacBook Pro. These are the same files I work with every day in Word (contracts where only names and dollar amounts are being changed), so I'm not doing anything new, I'm just doing it on a new computer.

I just did a software update. I am on Mac OS X Version 10.6.7. I have 315 GB of available space. Microsoft Word for Mac 2011 is Version 14.1.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 13-inch Mid 2007 | 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo | 3GB Ram | 250GB Hard Drive | 2nd Hard Drive 80GB
Sorry about you problem, maybe you should start using Adobe to create you PDF's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2 GHz i7, 4 GB RAM
Have you tried using a different font? Get away from the standard Word 2011 default fonts of Cambria or Calibri. Try something like Arial or TNR. Does that seem to help?

Also, save your document first. Then try to print and save as a PDF.

You also might want to check to see which versions of Acrobat they're using to open the file. An older version might misinterpret what you've saved, thus making your document look quite garbled.

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, but 10.6.7 introduced a bug with OpenType Fonts when printing (or saving) to PDF. Myriad Pro (mentioned in your error message) was one of those problematic fonts if I recall correctly. To address the issue Apple released a font update about a month ago (Snow Leopard Font Update). Did you install this update after 10.6.7? It should show up if you run Software Update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.