Parallels 6: Win 7 Virtual Machine without disc?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am trying to use Windows 7 in Parallels 6 on my Macbook Pro. I bought and downloaded Parallels 6, installed it, everything fine. I also bought Windows 7 online. The Windows 7 I bought came with a download (.exe file) and also a hard copy of the disk that I will receive in the mail.

Is there a way to create my Windows 7 virtual machine under parallels 6 without the installation disk? Or will I just have to wait until I receive the disk in the mail? Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Jared

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should be able to run the Windows 7 executable to create an install DVD. Have you tried that yet?

OP
J
Reaction score
You should be able to run the Windows 7 executable to create an install DVD. Have you tried that yet?

Thanks and no I haven't tried this. What would I need to do this, as I'm not exactly sure how to do it. Since Mac doesn't like .exe files, how will I write it to DVD? Thanks again

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you will need to borrow a Windows computer, unfortunately. or a Mac already running Boot Camp.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. You can't burn an executable to a CD or DVD as it will only be a copy of the original file and will not be able to boot the machine.

Microsoft assumes when you download from their store that you can make a DVD from the executable. If you don't have access to a Win machine you'll just have to wait until the backup DVD arrives in the mail. Don't lose your product key in the meantime!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
I know this is not the best solution, however, you can probably find the ISO file floating around on the internet somewhere.... then use your product key. Please read between the lines if what i am saying. I dont find this illegal since you have paid for the product already.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not illegal but a mite dangerous as malwares and trojans are often distributed via pirated software. Suggest waiting a few days.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know this is not the best solution, however, you can probably find the ISO file floating around on the internet somewhere.... then use your product key. Please read between the lines if what i am saying. I dont find this illegal since you have paid for the product already.

Not illegal? You bet it is since Microsoft does not distribute its operating systems in that manner. Not only that, the product key he has will likely not match up with the pirated ISO. And even if it did, it would not pass the MS Genuine Windows test.

Also, we do not allow any discussion of illegal activity in these forums. Please refrain from doing so. Read our guidelines which you will find in my signature line. Thanks for your cooperation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
Not illegal? You bet it is since Microsoft does not distribute its operating systems in that manner. Not only that, the product key he has will likely not match up with the pirated ISO. And even if it did, it would not pass the MS Genuine Windows test.

Also, we do not allow any discussion of illegal activity in these forums. Please refrain from doing so. Read our guidelines which you will find in my signature line. Thanks for your cooperation.

Maybe I am misunderstanding something... How would this be any different from purchasing a software online that comes with one license, for whatever reason you must wipe your machine, so you download a trail version of the program and enter your reg. key to unlock the full program. HE PAID FOR THE SOFTWARE. There is nothing illegal about that. He paid for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes. The software he paid for is en route. Downloading pirate software is not paying for software and pirate sites operate outside the law.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, I have access to a Windows PC. Do I need to download a program to burn the image to a disk so that it will be in the correct format to install in the Mac? I appreciate all the help everyone.

OP
J
Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with this? Like I said, I have access to a PC, and I have the .exe file and my product code from the email. The disc has still not arrived and I need Win 7 on my computer before the weekend.

So how can I burn the disk with the .exe file on the PC so that I can install it on my Mac for Parallels 6?

Do I need a certain program? Does it have to be a DVD instead of just a CD-R? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you run the *.exe file yet on the PC? Do that first. The rest will be self explanatory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.