Help accessing flash videos (via 2 apps) from sites that don't like ipad users?

Reaction score
Okay, so this is sort of complicated, but I'll explain it as best I can. I have been trying to access educational flash videos through a website that I can access just fine on my computer. I would like to be able to watch the videos on my ipad.

I have two programs that allow for flash on the ipad, skyfire and one other, which allows me to SEE the video streaming, but it does not have audio capabilities yet. Skyfire started to load my video, but then I think the website realized that I was trying to watch the video on an ipad and gave a message that said something like "we're sorry, but this video is not available for ipad and iphone. if you would like to watch it on your ipad, please purchase the upgrade in the app store".

now, this is after i've spent several thousands of dollars on this course, and i'm not about to buy a several hundred dollar app just so that i can watch these videos. the principle just offends me beyond belief, which was what led me to try skyfire and the other one.

what i'm hoping someone can help me with is figuring out whether there's a way to sort of trick the website i'm trying to access into thinking i'm accessing it from a pc. if i could get the video to begin loading earlier before the website somehow realized that i was using an ipad, it must be possible to watch the video through this app. can anyone help me? i'm not the most tech savvy person ever, and i would REALLY appreciate your help.

thanks much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Not gonna happen. Either get the full Skyfire app, try iSwifter, or another browser like those or watch on your PC. I know Skyfire is not "several hundred dollars" to get, $5 at the most. Even then, not a guaranteed solution.

It has been no secret that Flash is not supported on the iPad and that it will not be supported.

OP
A
Reaction score
Not gonna happen. Either get the full Skyfire app, try iSwifter, or another browser like those or watch on your PC. I know Skyfire is not "several hundred dollars" to get, $5 at the most. Even then, not a guaranteed solution.

It has been no secret that Flash is not supported on the iPad and that it will not be supported.

sorry, i should have been more clear! i have skyfire and another app that allow for flash usage and they work fine for everything BUT the website i'm trying to access. this particular website contains educational lectures and i guess b/c they're trying to squeeze every last cent out of the users, they sell their own "mobile upgrade" app for around $300 in addition to the cost of the course (which is several thousand dollars).

what i was trying to do was work around their block for ipads and was thinking that since the videos i was trying to watch did start to load, it's not a problem with skyfire's capabilities, just that the video site has figured out that i am not on my computer and so stops the videos from loading the rest of the way.

does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
No, I understood.

And with your clarification, you are trying to get something you haven't actually paid for - mobile access to restricted content that is available through a paid app offered by the content provider.

Use a laptop or desktop or buy their app.

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks brad. i really wasn't thinking about it that way... more that i've already spent thousands of dollars and it is really manipulative and imho, extortion for them to make you pay again for something you've already bought just so that you can access it on your phone or ipad. it is 100% the same material, i feel like they're just taking advantage of the fact that ipads don't have flash and using that as an opportunity to charge even more money. i've been pretty outraged about it all day!

i was also furious because they said that i would be able to access some of the lectures on my ipad, but that turned out not to be true at all... i can't access any of them through their app without upgrading for an extra three hundred dollars.

Reaction score
As Deckyon pointed out, have you tried iSwifter? There are YouTube videos on how to use iSwifter if you need to.

Reaction score
Streaming URL

thanks brad. i really wasn't thinking about it that way... more that i've already spent thousands of dollars and it is really manipulative and imho, extortion for them to make you pay again for something you've already bought just so that you can access it on your phone or ipad. it is 100% the same material, i feel like they're just taking advantage of the fact that ipads don't have flash and using that as an opportunity to charge even more money. i've been pretty outraged about it all day!

i was also furious because they said that i would be able to access some of the lectures on my ipad, but that turned out not to be true at all... i can't access any of them through their app without upgrading for an extra three hundred dollars.

I might have a solution for your, if you could let me whether you have a streaming URL for those videos from the website.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.