Running Windows 7 on my iMac

Reaction score
Hey guys

I currently i have the iMac [22.5 inch, 3.06 GHz, Intel Core i3]. I have a few questions about switching to Windows 7 operating system via bootcamp.

- Do i only need to buy the windows 7 install discs? []Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User: Amazon.co.uk: Software

- I am using a wired mouse and the original wireless bluetooth keyboard. Will i need to buy a wired keyboard?

- Will there be any performance issues?

- Is it also advisable to buy an external hard drive?

- Finally will i be able to access my mac files whilst running windows 7?

Thank you ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
- First, yes. You need to have a valid (legal) copy of Windows 7.
- Second - you will need a wired keyboard for the build process if you are doing Bootcamp.
- If you install with Bootcamp, there will not be any performance issues. If you use a virtual machine method, there will be cuts in performance as you are now sharing hardware with two operating systems at the same time.
- Doing either Bootcamp or virtual machine, you will be giving up hard drive space. It will depend on how much you give up as to whether or not you would want an external HD for storage.
- Depends. You can copy from the Mac partition in Bootcamp. I don't know about virtual machines. I don't know if you can write to the bootcamp'd OSX partition.

Bootcamp is the Mac name for Dual Booting. It creates a separate partition on the drive, then installs Win7 as if it was being installed on its own. You will not be able to run OSX and Win7 at the same time with this method. A reboot is required to swap.

Virtual Machines are copies of an OS install that is running on top of an existing and running OS. This means both operating systems are running at the same time on top of the same hardware. It is effectively splitting up the processing power of the machine in 2. This method, while convenient as you do not have to reboot in order to access the second OS, is much slower than dual booting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Moved to correct forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.