Hinge problems anyone?

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask if any long time PB owners has ever had a problem w/ the screen hinge [becoming loose, or simply not the same tension as it used to be]. Not sure if I'm being completely clear here, but as in opening and closing the laptop so often over the course of a couple of years that the hinge becomes not as tight as when new?

I ask because I usually keep my laptop in my dorm room, and nearly every time I come in and out of the room I open / close it. So this question came to my mind. I open and close it maybe about a good ten times every day.

I know an easy answer would be leave it open and let it fall asleep by itself, but my room gets sooo dusty extremely fast so I do not like to leave it open if I'm not using it.

Thanks in advance for any comments...

L

lil

I am not aware of it being an issue for P'books or iBooks. The hinge whilst not stiff is fluid in its motion but well designed (compared to many laptop hinges). As such I would not worry as where I work (an AppleCentre here in the UK) I am for all intents and purposes not aware of any Apple AlBook/TiBook/iBooks being returned due to hinges going 'floppy' and not supporting the screen.

Vicky

Reaction score
I've heard of issues with the hinge getting stiff but, but not loose on the PB. Though I would imagine it can happen. My daughters Toshiba Tecra 8100 is about 5 years old and it's hinge is getting loose. The screen will stay upright ok but when you close it, it falls to the latch position if you let go.

ed724

OP
TOYOTA
Reaction score
Ok, great, thanks for your replies. One less thing to worry about on this gorgeous machine. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I remember hearing of issues with the older Titanium PowerBook models. Those machines used two small hinges mounted on the back of the laptop, where they were fairly vulnerable. The current models (single large hinge recessed into the laptop) don't seem to have as many problems.

Incidentally, at least one company market(ed) a set of metal hinges to replace the sometimes-faulty plastic hinges in the Titanium PowerBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I have a tiBook and ugh.. I have already replaced 2 hinges on the thing.. they just keep going bad and snapping :(

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have one of the original Ti PowerBooks. I also broke my hinge. I am just living with. I plan to get a PowerMac soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Yeah, I had heard about problems on the older Ti Powerbooks, but havn't heard anything, or had any problems with my current Al one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.