OS 10.4.1? crash-kernal panic

Reaction score
I have an older G4 with OS 10.4. something. I never have had any trouble from it. I recently updated from the Apple site. Now the computer won't boot. All I get is a black screen with text code. I have tried all the following with no success.
1.) Reboot the Computer. - Simple, I know.... This didn't work. Won't boot.
2.) Resetting the PRAM: When booting, hold down Command-Option-P-R and wait for the triple startup chimes.
3.) File System Check - When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in exit and it will start the computer in normal mode
4.) Reset Nonvolatile Firmware - When booting, hold down Command-Option-O-F and wait for the command prompt. Type "reset-nvram" and hit enter.

I can't use the cd that came with the computer to reboot. I don't have the original disk. Even if I found it I can't get the disk drive to open.

I also tried this: You could also reset everything else if you wish.
Start up holding Command, Option, O and F.
When the text has loaded type the following:

reset-nvram then press return
set-defaults then press return
reset-all then press return

It will boot back to your OS then

After all this, I still can't get it to successfully boot up. All I get is a black screen with text code and a message that tells me to restart.

Anyone have other ideas???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

For starters try zapping the PRAM, by booting and immediately after the chime holding down the Command, Option P and R keys all at the same time and keep held down until after the third lot of chimes, release and see if the machine boots.

If no joy then try a PMU reset.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1939

If still no joy, unplug from the mains and let it stand for thirty minutes and try again. As it is starting in single user mode maybe you are having keyboard problems?

Keep us posted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xenon, 7 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 10.6.8
Have been having almost the exact same issue. G4 mirror doors, 2 GB ram, Leopard.

When starting in single user mode (cmd-s) there are a lot of lines about "com.apple.driver.AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement" as in "can't map" "can't load depedencies" "can't allocate class" and others.

It also lists ApplePMU: :CLOCK RESET! PMU WAS PROBABLY RESET SOMEHOW!! - which was me finding and pushing the button.

On EXIT from single user mode it starts:
mDNSResponder
SmithMicro schedulerdaemon
Login window application
SymSharedSettings

and then hangs.

Any ideas? Anybody?

thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, should have listed this before:

Machine won't boot normally
Machine won't boot in safe mode
Machine won't boot from cd (Leopard install disk or Drive Genius)
Machine is not visible on the network
The hard drive is fine - was able to access from an old PC using MacDrive
The cd spins
Tried removing and swapping about ram chips
You can get into Open Firmware
You can get into Single User Mode

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
You should get an external DVD drive and try booting from Install DVD - to try repairing the hard drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You should get an external DVD drive and try booting from Install DVD - to try repairing the hard drive

Even though I can access the drive through a PC using MacDrive?

Clock reset is a dead give away. Pop in a new PRAM battery.

Did replace the battery. Reset occurred from pressing the reset button.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.