Converting a document to PDF

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone could tell me how to easily convert a word document to a PDF without having to purchase any additional software?

I have used a website before to convert documents but it limits you to 1 conversion per half hour.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Mark

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How are you opening the Word document? With Word? If so, you can check to see if you have "Save as PDF" option..if not, then open up the Print dialog and you'll see a PDF option at the bottom where you can save the file as a PDF..

Regards

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could always use OpenOffice to save the documents as PDFs. Once you save them as PDFs though, check that everything looks ok. OpenOffice does a pretty good job with Word documents but it can screw up sometimes.

Reaction score
How are you opening the Word document? With Word? If so, you can check to see if you have "Save as PDF" option..if not, then open up the Print dialog and you'll see a PDF option at the bottom where you can save the file as a PDF..

Regards

I was going to say both of those !! You beat me to it !

I've just checked, Word 2008 on my iMac gives you both options.

You can also convert other documents to PDF using Preview, depending on type of document.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Just wondered if anyone could tell me how to easily convert a word document to a PDF without having to purchase any additional software?

Yes, but there are potential "gotcha's" along the way.

The ability to "print as a PDF" is built-in to OS X.

If you have Microsoft Word for the Macintosh on your Mac, you are golden. Open the file in Word, choose Print --> PDF --> Save as PDF, and you are done.

The problem comes if you don't have Word. Nothing will open Word files and have them look perfect with the certainty of Word itself.

TextEdit (comes with OS X) will open Word files...and often they will look like ****. You can try TextEdit and see if things look okay, and if they do, you can print to PDF. But chances are this won't be a satisfactory solution.

If you have any other word processor, try opening the Word document in it, and see if things look good. If they do, print to PDF.

If you don't have a good word processor, try this new and excellent free office suite:

Libre Office (free)
Home » LibreOffice

That is likely to do it for you, but even Libre Office isn't as dependable as Word itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.