Time Capsule - Time Machine Backup Not Using All Available Space

Reaction score
Good morning. I have a 1tb Time Capsule and use Time Machine to backup my iMac and my son's MBP.

The Time Machine backup is reporting that 235gb of 998gb is available. But it's been "stuck" at about 235gb for weeks. It seems as if the system is not using all available capacity. Is this normal?

I should note that at one time I had miscellaneous folders and files on the Time Capsule (from a PC). Would those miscellaneous files have somehow "blocked" access to the rest of the free space? I have removed those misc files, but still not seeing the system use my full drive capacity.

Any ideas how to get the system to use the rest of the drive?

Thanks in advance, John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
If it was formatted for the PC at one time, did you reformat it (Mac OS Extended Journaled) before putting on the Mac?

DavidH

OP
J
Reaction score
I never formatted it...it is set up exactly as it arrived. However, I believe it is working properly. I created a folder with many large files. They are backing up, and I now see the amount of available space decreasing. So the system is utilizing the full TB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.