MacBook Pro (2010) will not boot

Reaction score
Hi,

When I turned my MacBook pro off and on again, it came up with the usual grey background and apple logo, but then a progress bar comes up and disappears, then the normal circle progress bar. After this the circle bar disappears and that same progress bar appears. The Mac then shuts down. I don't know what to do, as I have tried hardware test (which said nothing was wrong) and I have booted it from the Mac os x software install DVD. I used disk utility to verify permissions, and it said that an input/output was corrupt for about 50 items, mostly in the CoreServices folder. I tried to repair permissions but it said that it could not. Please help! I am running OS X 10.6.7.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,

When I turned my MacBook pro off and on again, it came up with the usual grey background and apple logo, but then a progress bar comes up and disappears, then the normal circle progress bar. After this the circle bar disappears and that same progress bar appears. The Mac then shuts down. I don't know what to do, as I have tried hardware test (which said nothing was wrong) and I have booted it from the Mac os x software install DVD. I used disk utility to verify permissions, and it said that an input/output was corrupt for about 50 items, mostly in the CoreServices folder. I tried to repair permissions but it said that it could not. Please help! I am running OS X 10.6.7.

Is your MBP still under warranty? If so, I would suggest taking it in for a visit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Boot from the install DVD again, and repair the disk, rather than just permissions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.