MacBook Pro Virtual Memory Issues

Reaction score
Running Mac OSX 10.6.7 on a 2011 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 320GB HDD MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM and all of a sudden my Mac went from having 130GB free to 2GB of free space and noticed on Activity Monitor that virtual memory size is in the 130GB range. Any idea why this may be? :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Try and grab this freeware utility to visually see a virtual map of your hard disk Disk Inventory X

By the way, did you install anything before this happened?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD
Hello!

The 2GB of free space you are talking about is most likely referring to your RAM and not your HDD. 2GB of free space is perfectly normal. The 130GB of virtual memory is just referring to the amount of HDD space that could potentially be used by programs as extra memory if needed. If you want to know the actual amount of HDD space remaining, go into your finder and look at the bottom bar. It should give you an exact amount remaining.

Hope that helps!
Code

OP
M
Reaction score
@ CodeSamurai:
I have 2GB of remaining HDD space. Literally in a span of 10 minutes it went from 130GB to only 2GB without my having done anything like install any programs, updates, or add videos, music or pictures to my laptop. I only had 160GB filled of the 319GB total HDD space.

@ johndope83: The last thing I did was update a driver for my 1TB WD external hard drive and perform a routine backup, post some pictures on Facebook, and watch a show on my laptop. My WD software that backs up everything on my laptop gives me a visual of what is on my laptop and what is on the external hard drive. Somehow there is something in my system files that is taking up those 130GB that went missing in the blink of an eye. I had to relocate my iTunes Media to this 1TB external to free up 60GB of space.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
@ CodeSamurai:
I have 2GB of remaining HDD space. Literally in a span of 10 minutes it went from 130GB to only 2GB without my having done anything like install any programs, updates, or add videos, music or pictures to my laptop. I only had 160GB filled of the 319GB total HDD space.

@ johndope83: The last thing I did was update a driver for my 1TB WD external hard drive and perform a routine backup, post some pictures on Facebook, and watch a show on my laptop. My WD software that backs up everything on my laptop gives me a visual of what is on my laptop and what is on the external hard drive. Somehow there is something in my system files that is taking up those 130GB that went missing in the blink of an eye. I had to relocate my iTunes Media to this 1TB external to free up 60GB of space.

are saying that your WD software acts like time machine and backs up your files in your HDD?

And if you say that your WD software gives you a visual map of what's in your HDDs (so it's like Disk Inventory X) then have you noticed any big chunk of file in it?

OP
M
Reaction score
WD.jpg

:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.