• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iTunes in iMovie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Srping '11 MBP, 4GB RAM 500GBHD i7
i have made several videos on my iMac and used music in the background without any issues. now i have my new MBP and i am making a movie on it. when i click to see my iTunes library, i get a blank image. however, iPhoto is present and i can see my photo library.

Is there a setting in iTunes that must be enable to use in iMovie? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
can you not import audio file by going through

User - Music - iTunes - iTunes Media?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where would i find that?
Under "file" - Import i get 3 options: movies, camera archive, and iMovie HD project.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
haha spoke too soon. found it. ima try and see if it works.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nope. it will only allow me to open video files. i think the only way to add a music file is to have my iTunes library appear the same way my iPhoto library is appearing.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you could always try navigating to the folder I said earlier in Finder, then dragging the music file into iMovie. alternatively right click on music, hit "show in finder", then drag on top of the timeline.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That worked thank you. however, i still want to see my library on the bottom right in my iMovie.

C

chas_m

Sounds like your iTunes Library is not where it should be. Where is it currently located?

Hint: iMovie is looking in /users/(you)/Music. If it's not there, it won't show up because you moved it from where it is supposed to be.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Shouldn't the sound effects also be located under the tab? I dont have any sound effects to choose from. How do I get my sound effects back?

C

chas_m

The sound effects are part of the Garageband package. Did you install GB (or uninstall it, perhaps I should say)? Did you move it from where it is supposed to be?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.