• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What the heck is this planking deal ??? We have had a death already :(

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
We do it all the time. ;)

Hehe - if only that were doable elsewhere. ;) Believe me - it's the rare day that goes by where I don't wish for a ban hammer in real life. :Smirk:

Reaction score
So we need a federal law to say when and where people are allowed to lay in a posture that fakes death? Man, there's gonna be a lot of sad kids wondering how the heck they're gonna play cops and robbers.

Or are we just going to ban pictures of people laying down?

eusa_doh.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Stupid is as stupid does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
And it goes on.

WoolWorths Sack 8 Employees for planking . . . . .

This is becoming so funny its not funny anymore ;P

McDonald's told its staff yesterday that planking was considered inappropriate behaviour in the workplace.

Woolworths said the sackings were due to staff putting their own safety, as well as that of other staff and customers, at risk.

Here I have to agree. Certainly not appropriate behavior at work. If they employees get hurt on the premises the companies involved may be open to damages and law suits. Good for them.

None of that means I think it should be made illegal though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It is pure Darwinism at its best. Natural Selection at work.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
None of that means I think it should be made illegal though.
I did jump the gun in the 1st post of mine to make it illegal but i did com back with

Now i have had my morning coffee and caffeine has kicked in and have woken up and warmed up, i have settled and tend to agree. They wont be able to really enforce much. Still doesnt change the fact that it is stupidity and not that smart

Must be me ageing though as it has upset me in a way that someone died from something so stupid. . . . .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I did jump the gun in the 1st post of mine to make it illegal but i did com back with

Gotcha. As I age I find I am more tolerant of others offing themselves with stupidity. From my POV it simply makes the world a better, and potentially safer, place for the rest of us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature.
Found a cure for just about everything else except stupid. Maybe I'll start working on that...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This only made early moning news and cant find Article yet . . .

Made me cough up my morning coffee when i heard on the morning news a 48 yr old woman fell off a 2 mtr wall and broke her arm. The really funny part is according to her friends she broke it Planking, while trying to show the others the dangers of planking. So a broken arm and a bruised ego for her . . . LMAO

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol.... this is what happens when I leave the tv on for my dog when I go out! :D

HAHAHA very amusing :)
Loving the decor to ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Classic dog photo! Reminds me of trying to get my cat in the bath....

Reaction score
What are these people thinking. IF you dont know what it is Planking ~ Wiki!!!!!!!!

YouTube.

This is a bizarre act and people are getting more daring. 1 man did it on a Police Car and now they are charging him with a criminal act.
What bought me to start this thread is bc i just saw on the news this morning that we have already had 1 death, from a young bloke doing it on a 7th story balcony with his mate taking the picture and he fell to the carpark below. NewYorkPost ~ Australian man plunges to his death planking.
The Age ~ Planking death-Man plunges from balcony

Now come on, am i the only one that thinks this isnt right ?? Yes i admit some look funny but im not sure of the mentality of people doing this ??
I know what people are trying to achieve but to me it just doesnt seem right.
Peoples thoughts ??
Before the death and after. Has your opinion changed.
Mine did :(

Cheers

I think alcohol what the main cause of his death, not the planking attempt. Plenty of things like planking or driving are safe enough if you are fully in control of your actions and I don't think we should dismiss a fad on account of the death count, especially since alcohol and smoking are dangerous but widespread and unquestioned habits.

I can't really blame people for trying to express themselves. Some of those planking photos are pretty hilarious.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Honestly, I think they can do whatever they want! As long as they don't harm or endanger someone or their property, let them do it. I think there are more serious problems that should require this much attention!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.