Can I boot my PowerPC G5 from my Intel drive?

Reaction score
Can I boot my PowerPC G5 from my Intel drive?
I'm trying to retreive information from the hard drive of my Intel Mac. The Intel is irreparable, but the internal drive is fine, so I'm trying to boot my iMac Power PC from the intel drive to be able to reach all the info.
When I try to boot from it I get an error message saying: "No debugger confirmed - dumping debug info ......
Kernel panic ..."

Greatful for help on this ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, sorry, you can't boot a Power PC G5, G4 or any Power PC Mac from an hard drive from an Intel machine. Totally different architectures.

What I would suggest, can you boot the G5 from it's own OS? If so, put the drive as a slave or in an external case and access it from the G5. That you can do. Power PC is way different than an X86 Intel system.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply dtravis7!

Yes, I've tried to boot the G5 from it's own OS, and I've put it in an external case and yes, I can access most of the info this way. But for some reason I can't seem to access my emails. I've tried the regular way; I open "mail" on the G5 and choose "import postboxes" from the archive menu, and choose the "mail" folder in libraries from my Intel Mac drive. I get a dialog box saying that I now can reach the emails in the "import folder", but nothing happens ...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What version of OSX is on the G5 and what version is on the Intel Macs drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.