Display mail by date reveived

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a brand new IMac and up until the last 2 days mail received was being displayed in the inbox by most recent received date, first. For some reason?? this has changed to displaying mail that is the oldest first. I know that it is is a simple matter of clicking on the date received column and it will display as preferred. However, this is an annoying requirement and most frustrating to say the least, when no preference changes have been made by either my wife or I. I've carefully checked settings in preferences but alas, to no avail. So, I don't understand how this change has suddenly occurred and I cannot determine how to "fix" it. Any help appreciated.
:Confused:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to first highlight the date column and then set the arrow so that it sorts your mail according to your wishes. Leave the highlight set on the date column and exit mail. It should then default to the way you set it each time you download mail.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It is very easy to accidentally click either the arrow or the column heading and thus change the sort order.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, guys.!

I did have a moment of...it doesnt work, arrrgh but then instead of just closing down mail after following your instructions, by clicking on the cross, I actually "Quit" mail and then re-started the Imac and bingo!!!

However, I still wonder where this advice is hidden amongst all the help and preferences available?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
However, I still wonder where this advice is hidden amongst all the help and preferences available?

It's one of those things that is supposed to be intuitive. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.