how to clean my imac?

Reaction score
How should clean my imac? i was a former pc user and recently switched to mac. I was looking for the tools I usually used in my pc like disk cleanup and defragment, do mac also have similar tools? do they need to be clean up or defragment?

imac 21 inch
mac Os X 10.6.7
HD info capacity 999.86GB available 799.62 GB

Reaction score
hey....im been using cleanmymac software and this is awesome...u must try that..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How should clean my imac? i was a former pc user and recently switched to mac. I was looking for the tools I usually used in my pc like disk cleanup and defragment, do mac also have similar tools? do they need to be clean up or defragment?

The best cleanup and maintenance tool for your Mac is free. Download and install OnyX. Read the help file and follow directions.

Stay aware from all others especially MacKeeper and Clean My Mac. They both do more harm than good. A defrag tool is not necessary under ordinary conditions.

OP
J
Reaction score
okay thanks for the replies i just need more confirmation who is better OnyX or the clean my mac

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Without doubt (in my view anyway), OnyX! Apart from being free and regularly updated, if you follow the simple instructions, it does a great job and, vitally, appears not to damage, delete or otherwise mess up your system.

Reading previous Forum contributions on this subject, it does seem to be a popular, favourite app across the Mac fraternity.

Ian

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

imac 21 inch
mac Os X 10.6.7
HD info capacity 999.86GB available 799.62 GB

Maintenance on the Mac is not the same as it is on Windows. For the most part, the machine is self-maintaining, particularly if you leave it turned on all the time.

Don't try to apply the habits you've picked up on Windows to the Mac as the two work completely differently. Although the suggestions you've received have been pretty good for the most part, running these programs too often can actually slow your machine down.

I like to use the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

hey....im been using cleanmymac software and this is awesome...u must try that..

CleanMyMac is garbage and mostly irrelevant since there are a plethora of free tools that actually work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Must be selling CleanMyMac to actually recommend it!

Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
Without doubt (in my view anyway), OnyX! Apart from being free and regularly updated, if you follow the simple instructions, it does a great job and, vitally, appears not to damage, delete or otherwise mess up your system.

Reading previous Forum contributions on this subject, it does seem to be a popular, favourite app across the Mac fraternity.

Ian
Thanks for this guyz !

I had been flirting with getting that 'Çlean my Mac' program - and am glad I didn't !!
I used Onyx on 3 of my iMacs yesterday, and am pleased to report that some little glitches I had have now been sorted !

You have to be suspicious of programs -- allegedly trumpeted as 'FREE'- which aren't anything of the kind, once you have installed the trial program etc !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I tried clean my mac after a friend recommended it to me and i didn't really research it and it slowed my computer way down. I use onyx now and I like it a lot better. There is not really any matinence with the mac at all, I was used to windows a year ago and am happy that I switched.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.