Macbook Pro 3 beeps restarts many times!

Reaction score
After updating a software using the software updater, when my macbook 15" 2011 restarts, it gongs (startup sound) , then is followed by 3 beeps then shuts off, turns on gong, turns off. it does that around 3-5 times then it finally powers up normally. I have read around, is it my RAM? I did upgrade to 8gb total, (4 each slot) when i first bought it, and it was fine then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Had the same problem on my 09 MBP or the only one so far one stick was bad and the way its designed if one is bad nothing works so you got the option of taking it back and
let them replace it which I would or if you need it now power down remove one stick then
try it if it still does not work swap the ram around different stick different slot. Apple does not make the ram it happens can fail on any brand.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you upgrade the memory yourself or did Apple do it? If you upgraded the memory yourself, open the machine back up and reseat the modules. In other words, pull them out and push them back in again. Of course if Apple upgraded it for you, take it back to them. It sounds like one of the modules is not making good contact. It may have "creeped" out of the socket which is why it was OK at first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.