Processor Speed: 2.16GHz
Number of processors: 1
Total Number of cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4MB
Memory: 1GB
Bus Speed: 667MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM51.0090.B09
SMC Version: 1.9f4

Hopefully that's enough information (I'm not the biggest computer guru).

My iMac hasn't been running very well for awhile (crashes, freezes, slow, etc). I thought uninstalling Fan Control (downloaded, not originally part of computer) would maybe help. After I uninstalled it, things really got messed up. It took several start-ups to actually get into the system and the screen has horizontal lines and what appear to be dead pixels. I was able to reinstall Fan Control, but that still didn't help.
After that, I decided to back everything up, erase the harddrive and start fresh. I first tried reinstalling OS X 10.4.7 (the original disk that came with my computer). The computer still kept crashing, so I held down the power button and restarted in Safe Mode. I was able to reinstall OS X, so then I tried reinstalling Leopard. The same thing happened, and I had to start-up in Safe Mode.
Below is a list of things I tried (I did a lot of Google searching):

Repair Disk with Disk Utility from start-up disks (both Leopard and the original disk)

Reset PRAM (I'm not sure if I got this to work. I followed what the forums said, but still no luck)

Clear out start-up items (there was nothing in either folder)

Ran Apple Hardware Test (it didn't find any problems)

I tried starting-up normally again and the little grey circle with a line came up. Now I'm only able to start up in Safe Mode.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Could be numerous things going wrong there, but certainly sounds more like a hardware problem rather than a software one.

1: Could be a bad HDD that's dying on you, not too much too replace and could solve the problem.

2: Could be bad RAM at the root cause and also not too expensive to replace.

3: Could be a GPU problem which is a lot more expensive and not really user-replaceable, you would probably want to get to an Apple store to get this fixed.

Hope this helps a little

- Simon

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz 1GB of memory
Thanks a bunch (such a quick reply). Is there an easy way to figure out what the hardware problem might be?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.