Photoshop Elements 9 Installation Problems

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I got Photoshop Elements 9 earlier today as part of the Toast Pro 11 bundle. Everything installed fine except Photoshop Elements. Over the last several attempts at installation I have tried the following to troubleshoot this problem.

1. Consulted the great google for answers and found everything but an answer.
2. Attempted install both with and without other apps running.
3. Verified disk and repaired permissions
4. Attempted installation both with and without creating an Adobe user name.
5. Have left the installer running nowhere from several minutes to well over an hour. The result is the same the installation never gets past what appears to be the very first file and the "calculating" phase.

In checking the Console logs there are numerous references similar to the following:

"5/14/11 4:46:20 PM com.apple.FolderActions.folders[1296] OpenScripting.framework - scripting addition "/Library/ScriptingAdditions/Adobe Unit Types.osax" declares no loadable handlers." for this and other files.

The target Mac is the 2008 MacBook Pro in my signature. It has 4 GB of ram and 10.6.7.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You're not running the 64-bit kernel, by chance, are you?

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't even think of that. When that was first introduced I used to switch between the two modes from time to time. In looking at Activity Monitor much of it seems to show 64 Bit mode including Finder and Dock.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't even think of that. When that was first introduced I used to switch between the two modes from time to time. In looking at Activity Monitor much of it seems to show 64 Bit mode including Finder and Dock.

Well, those apps will work in 64-bit mode, regardless of the kernel (at least under 10.6). If you go into Apple => About this Mac => More Info and click on the Software header, it should look something like this:

2011-05-14_1845.png

If the field noted says "Yes", you're running the 64-bit kernel.

The interesting thing is that I am too, although I never turned it on. I suspect Apple did that from the factory (it's a 2011 MBP).

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my case it says "No". Thanks for the reminder I was just looking that up to see how to check definitively. I have done it before but did not remember how to check.

It's worth a try to see if installing in 64 bit mode makes a difference. When they started with the 32/64 bit modes I don't remember why I didn't leave it in 64 bit. Think it was because so much of the stuff I was running did not truly take advantage of it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In my case it says "No". Thanks for the reminder I was just looking that up to see how to check definitively. I have done it before but did not remember how to check.

It's worth a try to see if installing in 64 bit mode makes a difference. When they started with the 32/64 bit modes I don't remember why I didn't leave it in 64 bit. Think it was because so much of the stuff I was running did not truly take advantage of it.

Well, the benefits are rather dubious, and of course, if all of your kexts are not 64-bit, it could lead to problems.

The reason I asked is that there was some anecdotal evidence in some of the searches that I did that there might be a compatibility issue with that module and the 64-bit kernel. But I guess I'm barking up the wrong tree.

OP
S

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has only been a few minutes but I am not having any more success in 64 bit mode than 32. If I check in Activity Monitor the Adobe Installer is not listed as 64 bit so I doubt it will make a difference there.

I did find the Apple document that explains how to make the switch to 64 bit persist across reboots. That was one reason I did not use it initially. Without that little command my machine would switch back to 32 bit mode every time I boot.

BTW you're probably right about your machine. Here's the list of which machines boot into 64-bit mode and under what circumstances. Mac OS X v10.6: Macs that use the 64-bit kernel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.