This mac for audio??

Reaction score

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
It will be fine. The Core 2 Duo processors are still holding their own today, should be abel to run a decent amount of DSP before the thing overloads.

OP
G
Reaction score
Ah ok, thanks for that, just out of interest how do you know more about the spec of that mac as i couldnt find out that that is what it was, I kinda just went for it! also can you tell me if i will be able to upgrade it? memory etc?

thanks for your help, I'm a complete mac newbie.

Gordie

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ive used one before. I believe it is a 2008 Macbook Pro (pre Uni-body), and obviously it tells you a bit of info on ebay.

the Title says 500GB - this is your amount of storage space (must be an upgraded End user installed drive) you can upgrade this to a 750GB (biggest currently available at this size) if you wish, but you will have to install it yourself.

4GB - This is your RAM, or System Memory. this is a good amount of RAM to have, and also i believe the maximum available on this machine.

It also has the latest version of Snow Leopard, and is capable of running OSX Lion in future, if you plan to upgrade.

in addition it has a Superdrive DVD burner and a multi touch trackpad, and an isight camera.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agh so basically my upgrade options are limited?

all Macs are quite limited in terms of upgrades. the thing is you wont need to upgrade this for a while, you could easily the run this for 2-3 years with no problems, as long as you dont have any especially heavy plug ins you are using in multiple instances.

OP
G
Reaction score
ah ok so i got mac tonight, pleased with it so far although i notice the status of the battery is "service battery" is that something i should be concerned about? how long should it take to do a full charge?

thanks

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how long is it currently taking? im not too good with batteries on older Mac's, hopefully someone will chime in. I believe there is a fairly easy battery maintenance routine.

OP
G
Reaction score
here are the results

current charge 1900 mah
maximum charge 3635 mah

current capacity 3635 mah
design capacity 5500 mah
mac model macpro 3.1
age 47 months
battery load cycles 247
battery temp 29.6
battery power usage 20.7 watt

hope this is of some use:)

gordie

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
looks like it has deteriorated a bit, but it should hold a charge well enough.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah I would expect that, is it worth buying a new one do you think? How much are they?

Thanks

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wouldn't bother unless it starts giving you trouble to be honest. If it starts giving you 10 minutes of battery before dying, thats when i would start worrying.

OP
G
Reaction score
I carved it for one hour last night and when I took it out it said, 1hour 30 remaining, not to bad, I'll let it drain tonight then give it an overnight charge.

C

chas_m

"Service battery" is generally a sign that something is wrong with the battery. I would not trust it and would replace it as soon as it is feasible. That is quite an old battery (four years old). I assume the machine is the same age.

It's a testament to Apple that a four-year-old machine should be perfectly fine for what you want to do and indeed almost all modern functions (I'm typing this to you on one, and there are very few areas where I feel like my machine's getting on in years), but be aware that you'll probably want a new(er) model in the near future.

Reaction score
where is the best place to get a new battery? take it to an apple shop? or just replace it myself?

Cheers again

Gordie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.