Please Help: Forgot Firmware password and I can't reset it

Reaction score
Okay So I am Installing a new hard drive on my Macbook and reinstall Snow Leopard. But everytime I boot holding "Option" to select the drive I wish to boot from, it comes to a grey screen with the Lockpad on it and an option to enter a password. I have NO CLUE what that password would be.

So I did what everyone does, and went to google. I found some ways to reset it, such as booting Holding Command+Option+P+R And removing a RAM stick. No of these options worked.

Im getting scared that I am going to be SOL with a macbook and a new hard drive and have no way to install OS X on it.

P.S: I wish these things has a physical "reset" button on the logic board.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the method of removing one memory module did not work, you are out of luck. Is the MacBook a new one? Because that method does work on older model MacBooks and also for the older (pre 2010, 2011) MacBook Pro. It will not work on some 2010 and the 2011 models. Only an authorized Apple genius or dealer can reset those.

The only thing I can suggest is to take your purchase receipt with you and go to the nearest Apple store and ask for assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Password Protection is installed on Macbooks etc used in colleges, schools etc to prevent theft. A reset button would defeat the purpose of the software. Personally think Password Protection is a huge danger to any computer if owners forget/don't know password.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That's interesting. It sounds like you've got the Open Firmware password set - and that doesn't happen by accident. It takes a bit of doing to get it set in the first place.

So, tell us a bit more about this machine... like what is its history?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.