The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Many many switchers coming from the Windows world are always concerned about whether or not they need a firewall or antivirus software for their Mac. The short answer: maybe, it's a personal choice.

Having a firewall is always a necessity to protect your computer and network from hackers who could steal data or harm your machines. Luckily Mac OSX has it's own built-in firewall that can be activated in the Sharing pref pane in System Preferences.

Now when it comes to antivirus software it gets trickier and there isn't as much agreement. Here are the normal pros and cons...

Pros:
  • If you use the machine in a mixed network antivirus software will help stop you from further infecting the network. While your Mac can't be infected by a Windows virus, it can pass it on.
  • Even though there is not a virus for Mac OSX that doesn't mean there will never be one. Having antivirus software installed makes you proactive in your protection.
  • Most users see no performance decrease or issues when running antivirus software.
Cons:
  • There has never been a virus or spyware released for Mac OSX to date.
  • It eats up resources on some machines
  • In certain situations it could cause stability issues or kernel panics
As you can see there are good reasons on both sides so in the end you need to make up your mind on which your most comfortable with.

If you decide to add an antivirus program to your computer here are some that are available for OSX:

Norton AntiVirus for Mac
McAfee Virex for Mac
ClamXav (free)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I'd tend to disagree with the "Most users see no performance decrease or issues when running antivirus software." I know that for the time I had Virex running on my computer, I noticed about a 10% slowdown at times, and I'm running the top of the line Powerbook. I agree with the rest of your thread though, this really needed to be posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Other minor gripes
While your Mac can't be infected by a Windows virus, it can pass it on.
I suggest changing "it" to "you." The Macintosh can't transmit the virus, at least not in the way that an infected PC can. Only the operator could (accidentally or unknowingly...or deliberately) send the virus on.

Also, in addition to resource or performance issues, antivirus software might affect stability. Especially those AV programs that install kernel extensions (kexts) which can increase the likelihood of kernel panics or other issues on some machines...a Very Bad Thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
Good thread- anyone just coming into the MacWorld would benefit from such straight talk!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 iMac, 1.8, 1 Gig, airport// G4 PowerMac w/Apple LCD, 12" G4 PowerBook, G3 Clamshell
BTW- Wasn't McAfeeVirex "free" (included with) the .mac accounts in the past?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wvmac said:
BTW- Wasn't McAfeeVirex "free" (included with) the .mac accounts in the past?
Yes Virex was free but it is not compatible with Tiger so .Mac dropped support.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
technologist said:
Other minor gripes
I suggest changing "it" to "you." The Macintosh can't transmit the virus, at least not in the way that an infected PC can. Only the operator could (accidentally or unknowingly...or deliberately) send the virus on.

Also, in addition to resource or performance issues, antivirus software might affect stability. Especially those AV programs that install kernel extensions (kexts) which can increase the likelihood of kernel panics or other issues on some machines...a Very Bad Thing.

I suppose if you want to break it down to the definition of specific wording, then yes I could change it :). However since this is just a general FAQ for newbies, I don't really know if it's necessary to break it down into a linguistic battle of semantics ;).

As for your other comment, you are correct, that may also be an issue for some users although certainly not widespread. Thanks for adding to the FAQ.

Reaction score
having the os x firewall on or off did not make a difference when it came to running shieldsup on www.grc.com. both passed the trustealth test with flying colours. so should i have it on or off?

1.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
i have norton i didn't notice a slow down,
and i use my pen drive with pcs alot,
i am glad to see that it scans it every time, so i am not spreading any viruse

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hellfried said:
having the os x firewall on or off did not make a difference when it came to running shieldsup on www.grc.com. both passed the trustealth test with flying colours. so should i have it on or off?
Are you running your Mac after a router (wired or wireless)? If so, the test is actually testing the router's firewall, not your Mac.

I'd recommend leaving it on if you ever user your Mac on other networks since you can't be sure of their security.

I

in00b

Great thread... When i made the switch, antivirus was one of my first concerns/questions. I'm still getting used to the fact that i can surf the net as free as it was intended to be.

gotta love apple for that! :mac:

Reaction score
schweb said:
Are you running your Mac after a router (wired or wireless)? If so, the test is actually testing the router's firewall, not your Mac.

I'd recommend leaving it on if you ever user your Mac on other networks since you can't be sure of their security.

i am running my ibook after a wireless router (net gear wgr614v5). i have a desktop running winxp on this network with the free edition of sygate firewall. i have windows firewall turned off.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, your wireless router has a built in firewall (all routers do) which is why the results are always the same since it's actually probing that firewall and not your Mac. If you really wanted to see your Mac's results you'd need to connect it directly to the DSL or Cable modem.

H

HareshKainth

My understanding was to always have some sort of protection for your computer.

I mean, im running two Windows 2003 Servers, three Windows XP Pro Clients, one Apple iBook and one Apple Quad 2.5Ghz PowerPC (I've ordered this, should arrive within 3 weeks) at home.

On a Microsoft Platform, an Anti Virus program is a MUST.
On an Apple Platform, an Anti Virus program is not esstiential?

I’ve got a good security system (see below):

Internet --> Router* --> Windows 2003 (Running Microsoft ISA 2004, this is advanced firewall program) --> Switch* --> Windows 2003 (Running Active Directory, File Server) --> Switch* --> XP Clients & OSX Clients.

*Switch = 3Com

At this moment I don't have any Antivirus programs for the Apple machines, I do have for the Windows machines, they all run Norton Antivirus Corp (latest version with latest definitions). In which I can control all XP clients from one machine, I will like to do this with Mac’s as well.

For the purpose of continuity, I'm guess I would purchase Norton Antivirus Mac edition. Am I making the right move, should I consider another antivirus application or should I bother at all?

As I'm a University student, software developer (Mac & Windows), graphics designer and network engineer, security is a number one priority for me.

Any further advice and information would be an extremely beneficial.

Q

Quantum Flux

im a total mac newbie so im ignorant here.

if i am doing online banking, is the built-in firewall enough to protect me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah - should be fine. Just make sure you don't log into your banks from any dubious email links...often scammers send out fraudulent eMails pretending to be authentic letters from your bank and set up websites to trick you into giving them your account data.

Just log on through your banks regular webpage by manually entering the url in your browser.

It's also always a good idea to make sure you have all the latest system updates (just run 'Software update' from the apple menu).

H

HareshKainth

Ive got Norton AntiVirus 10 for the Mac, its works perfect havn't seen any slow down (if got PowerMac G5 Quad and Ibook G4). The design of the software is really good plus widget is well designed). Easy to use and easy to update, personally i cant fault it. Its abit expensive i think but at least you have that feeling that your machine is running some sort of protection.

ENABLE Router (with Firewall) + ENABLE Apple Inbuilt Firewall + ENABLE Norton AV 10 Mac plus update + UPDATE Apple Mac Software Update = GOOD LEVEL OF PROTECTION

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
M

MichaelWho

I had virex on my imac 10.2.8 and brickhouse firewall. I have deleted Virex and Brickhouse as my macine is running slow, Safari will not boot up and I cannot download automatic updates anymore. I tried to swith on the inbuilt firewall but it says I cannot as I have a firewall running! How can this be when I have delted Brickhouse?

schweb said:
Many many switchers coming from the Windows world are always concerned about whether or not they need a firewall or antivirus software for their Mac. The short answer: maybe, it's a personal choice.

Having a firewall is always a necessity to protect your computer and network from hackers who could steal data or harm your machines. Luckily Mac OSX has it's own built-in firewall that can be activated in the Sharing pref pane in System Preferences.

Now when it comes to antivirus software it gets trickier and there isn't as much agreement. Here are the normal pros and cons...

Pros:
  • If you use the machine in a mixed network antivirus software will help stop you from further infecting the network. While your Mac can't be infected by a Windows virus, it can pass it on.
  • Even though there is not a virus for Mac OSX that doesn't mean there will never be one. Having antivirus software installed makes you proactive in your protection.
  • Most users see no performance decrease or issues when running antivirus software.
Cons:
  • There has never been a virus or spyware released for Mac OSX to date.
  • It eats up resources on some machines
  • In certain situations it could cause stability issues or kernel panics
As you can see there are good reasons on both sides so in the end you need to make up your mind on which your most comfortable with.

If you decide to add an antivirus program to your computer here are some that are available for OSX:

Norton AntiVirus for Mac
McAfee Virex for Mac
ClamXav (free)

B

bfx

Is there any way to unblock an addy you initially blocked using Tiger's built-in firewall?

Thanks

bfx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.