The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Ok I just ordered my MacBook.
Also bought Mac OS X for Dummies.
So for right now I should not go ahead and purchase Norton Internet Security for the Mac (running it for my Windows based machine)?

Reaction score
Blue, I am in my 4th week of my new Macbook Pro and see no need for one.

Reaction score
schweb said:
I don't know if I'd worry about it then. There's not really a need for a firewall on a Dial-up account. Every time you dial in there's a new IP assigned.

A few years ago I was rebuilding my Windows 2000 machine (I had dial-up). Every time I tied to get some OS updates, the machine would blue-screen on me at about the same point, but not exactly. The only "fix" was to start from scratch. At first I thought an update was messing up my very-out-of-date base install. Then I thought about it and realized it was one of the many viruses that attack remote systems. Yes, on dial-up. I installed zone alarm before connecting and the problem stopped and no more blue-screen during the updates.

The only big difference between getting infected via dial-up and broadband is the speed. It is still absolutely possible.

Now, Macs on the other hand, don't have that problem due to the lack of viruses. But should there be an exploit that allows for remote access...a firewall is never a bad idea. Even if you dial into a private address space at your ISP and are behind their firewall, you still have your fellow subscribers who could be compromised and are on the same subnet as you.

Bottom line: It may not be absolutely necessary to have a firewall with a Mac, but it doesn't hurt to have one. I prefer hadware firewalls like Linksys/D-Link. And they do (or at least did) make them with analog modems. I had a D-link brand router/modem, but I never got it to work right with my ISP.

Reaction score
Security: Windoze, linux and mac

Though I have never used a mac, I switched from windoze to linux last year, primarily due to security concerns, and secondarily because I was beginning to get afraid of Microsoft Economics. I have some experience with linux desktop security as an average user, and I'd like to share it here, hoping that the same principles apply to macs too (as it's based on freeBSD)

Firewall: Linux has built-in firewall. One just has to configure it using iptables or a gui-enabled program like firestarter. The firewall is pretty transparent to the user and shows all the connections to and from the computer, and the rejected packets/connections in red color. I kept the linux desktop on for almost 24 hours a day, and it never got owned/hacked despite reckless web surfing and hosting websites from my desktop using Apache. Absolutely flawless security in Linux!!

Antivirus: Clamav (=clamaXav for macs) was included with my Linux distro (Ubuntu dapper drake). It was just a scanner, not real-time virus monitor. I never had any viruses on my linux partition despite downloading tons of stuff. I guess it may be because the stuff was largely open source softwares, and the community does an impeccable job at reading the source code. I got a virus from a friend on request (he got his PC killed), and clamav was able to clean that virus, which earlier had evaded norton antivirus on my friend's PC.

In about 10 years, I got viruses about a dozen times on windoze. In about one year of Linux use, I got none. This might have happend because few/no wild virii exist for linux (same with OS X).

In a nutshell, I am fully confident about the security of macs, but will have clamaXav antivirus for scanning my emails etc. lest it should infest my friends who use windoze. I'll also tinker around with mac firewall to see the performance, despite being behind a firewalled router.

Thanks for reading.

J

JamminJonah

Any thoughts on Intego products?

Most specifically looking at Virus barrier, Net Barrier, and Backup

I know Apple has them on the apple store site and they seem to get pretty good reviews, any experience with these products?

Reaction score
I have them, I'll give them 4 stars! I think its very easy to use it ends up on your menu bar for quick and easy access updates on its own. Thumbsup here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
What is Intego?

Reaction score
My PC has security measures up to it's eyeballs and unwantables still found their way under its skin.

I do have concerns about security on my mac but feel more secure in the fact that M$ isn't in the background, and have decided to hold off from heavy fortification.

M

MacWannabe

HareshKainth said:
On a Microsoft Platform, an Anti Virus program is a MUST.

I disagree. As an IT Consultant and former Microsoft Support employee I don't run an A/V. I don't open attachments, I read all my email in plain text, and my PC is behind a router and Windows ICF. My risk is extremely low so running an A/V isn't worth the performance hit. For Mac, that appears to be even more the case.

Incidentally, this is also pretty much what Leo Laporte says. In fact he doesn't even like software firewalls believing that a router is in most cases enough.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
Tiger 10.4.8 and Virex eUpdates

It no longer works. I run the MacBook Pro now and assume I need an A/V. What does Apple intend to do to integrate an A/V into its' OS?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It no longer works. I run the MacBook Pro now and assume I need an A/V. What does Apple intend to do to integrate an A/V into its' OS?

They're not. There are no Mac OS X viruses so there is no present need to build in an anti-virus solution.

They do include ClamAV support in OS X Server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Pro
Outbound Firewall

The problem I had with Mac firewalls was that none of them seemed to have one of the main features I wanted in my Windows firewall - solid *outbound* filters. Spyware/trojan or legit, if a program is trying to phone home from my system, I want to know about it. I could only find one program that covered this, and that seems to be all it does (no other typical firewall features like logging, etc). Kinda pricey, considering that it isn't a full-feature firewall, but it plugs that particular gap for me. I'm not presently running any antivirus or other firewalls for OS X (though I have AVG antivirus running inside my Parallels/WinXP session).

http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
I disagree. As an IT Consultant and former Microsoft Support employee I don't run an A/V. I don't open attachments, I read all my email in plain text, and my PC is behind a router and Windows ICF. My risk is extremely low so running an A/V isn't worth the performance hit. For Mac, that appears to be even more the case.

Incidentally, this is also pretty much what Leo Laporte says. In fact he doesn't even like software firewalls believing that a router is in most cases enough.

Router firewalls only prevent/warn of inbound traffic. Software firewalls prevent/warn of outbound traffic as well as inbound traffic - therefore it is not necessarily true that a router firewall is enough.

If traffic/virus gets passed the firewall/av software (and some can), you will not be warned when said trojan is utilising the internet/bandwidth from your machine with just a router firewall.

It is also wise to remember that firewalls/AV's and other similar software are preventative's, and not cures.

Some people assume that if they have a good AV/firewall, that they are totally immune - not entirely true, although prevention is very important - not having either (especially on a Windows system) is akin to leaving your front door open when you go out.

Gav

Reaction score
Please just bear in mind - I only read the 1st Post

Guys - there ARE Mac Viruses? Whoever said they didn't is wrong. Their are no self-installing viruses, but if you download and run one (even if by accident) you can still get one.

Thanks x

Reaction score
I've just made the switch to a MAc Pro tower. Love the machine but coming from the PC world where viruses are almost a daily way of life naturally I had some concerns. This threadd has been quite good at answering most of my questions, except one.

On my PC I used NOD32 and found it quite good with not a large footprint in memory or cpu drain. I notice as I'm making the migration from my PC's over to the new mac that NOD32 is picking off emails coming in with viruses attached. Obviously on the MAC they just come in and they most of the time end up in the junk mail folder.

I'm worried that without some sort of email virus checking I could inadvertantly pass along an email that contains a virus to a friend of colleague. How do I protect against that without makking a masssive drain on my MAC with an AV program?

Thansk for the responses in advance. Lovin the new mac and I'm sure I'll find this forum quite helpful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Those e-mails will only be passed onto your friends or colleagues if you take the e-mail, forward it and put in their e-mail addresses. The e-mail won't distribute it itself.

Reaction score
Those e-mails will only be passed onto your friends or colleagues if you take the e-mail, forward it and put in their e-mail addresses. The e-mail won't distribute it itself.

Obviously the email doesn't send itself. But without an AV program checking my incoming mail how can I be sure I'm not inadvertently passing something along?

My friends and I pass along the occasional humourous emails and often some are flagged as having a virus attached when on my PC using NOD32.

After reading the thread the threat to me isn't very large but I'd rather not be innocently distributing an infected file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP| 2.33 15" |2 Gig|320 GiG 7200 rpm |256 MB X1600

Well your statement is interesting as I have run a Windows 2000 server for almost a year without a single virus . But you claim all the things you dont do and read email in plain text is not the norm for most pc users that I know.
If you want to use a PC without using half of its common task then maybe your fine. But if you plan on using your machine the way most people have become accustomed to , in my opinion an antivirus and firewall are definitely a must . Simple internet browsing , reading email can open you up to a serious virus and you will be infected before you know it.
I a pc user am so happy to have a mac where most definitely the risk is almost non existant . Its wonderful !!

thanks
Wrath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.