ipad Camera Connection Kit

Reaction score
Since upgrading my ipad to ios version 4.3.3 my camera connection kit no longer works. The message "Cannot use device, the connected USB/sd card reader device requires too much power" is displayed. Will Apple be making a "fix" for this or do they intend to reimburse everybody that purchased the camera connection kit....including me ?? Having read other forums and posts this is a problem all ipad users that upgraded the ios are experiencing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
???

We don't know. This forum has no affiliation with Apple.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I don't have the camera connection kit for my iPad, but Googling around, it seems that this is a fairly common issue. Apparently, with iOS 4.2, Apple reduced the amount of current supplied to the USB connector, which can impact the interoperability of some cameras.

There are tons of workarounds out there, but no official "fix" from Apple for the issue. I'm guessing the problem is that many cameras are trying to draw power from the bus to charge, but the iPad really isn't designed to do that.

As far as getting a refund goes, you should probably give Apple a ring on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 10.5.8 2.53 Ghz Intel Core Duo 4GB 1067 Mhz DDR3
quick question about the connector...can data be transferred both ways? i.e copy pics stored on the ipad to a sd card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
quick question about the connector...can data be transferred both ways? i.e copy pics stored on the ipad to a sd card?

It's a one way street. The only thing you can do on the card/camera is delete the pics that have been transferred.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Since upgrading my ipad to ios version 4.3.3 my camera connection kit no longer works. The message "Cannot use device, the connected USB/sd card reader device requires too much power" is displayed. Will Apple be making a "fix" for this or do they intend to reimburse everybody that purchased the camera connection kit....including me ?? Having read other forums and posts this is a problem all ipad users that upgraded the ios are experiencing.

Presumably your using a camera that doesn't use SD cards?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.