• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Managing Video Library

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello all. I have a question regarding managing my video library. First, a little background.

I have an Apple TV (gen 2) an iPad (gen 1) and iTunes on my Win7 PC. I have been ripping my DVD collection with DVDfab. I (or my children) view the video content on both the Apple TV and iPad. DVDfab has settings for both devices and I generally have no issues with the app. My issue is that I cannot just rip everything with the Apple TV settings because the audio doesn't always encode properly. For example, Pirates of the Caribbean doesn't play audio on the iPad unless I rip it in "Stereo" mode. Obviously I don't want to play the movie in "stereo" through the Apple TV on my Home Theater System. In addition, we try to pack the iPad with videos for the kid (age appropriate shows) so I like them to be as small as possible. The iPad settings work well for this. I don't have an issue with ripping the movie twice with different settings to solve the audio issue on the iPad. With this background, here is my question:

Within iTunes, is there a way to separate my video library so the iPad specific rips (smaller size and stereo mode) do not show up in my Apple TV menu but are still located in my video library inside of iTunes? I've played around with sorting but not convinced that is the best way to do it. I'd like to know what others are doing.

Thank you for your help

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First off, I'm going to move this from our "off topic" forum and into the right one.

Secondly, I'm going to ask that you review our rules, specifically those on DVD ripping.

Unfortunately, due to these restrictions, we won't be able to help you here. Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.