Adding USB2 to G4 digital audio

Reaction score
Hi,
I purchased and installed an Adaptec USB2connect Adapter (OHCI compliant) in my G4 533 Digital Audio (running 10.4.11, 1.25 GB RAM). I'm not sure it's working. Under "About this mac," it is showing up as usb in slot 3. To this I was planning to attach a 500 GB Free Agent Seagate external hard drive.

Without anything working to date, the G4 has sleep issues. If I put it to sleep, I can't wake it up without pulling the plug. In the reading I have done, this seems to be an issue with G4s. Is there any way to overcome this, short of pulling the PCI card. Could this drive work connected thru firewire slot?

Any help would be appreciated. If I could get everything running and do a full backup on the external, I would be willing to pull out the PCI card and reinsert when I need to do additional backup, but I was hoping to avoid that.

Personally, I'm not a technically savvy person. I don't have any fear of installing ram, processor, additional hard drive, pci cards, etc. but that is about as far as I can go without guidance.

Jackie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It should be working, just plug in any drive, even a thumb drive to test it out.

My G4 has a generic USB 2 card that just worked when I put it in

As for the sleep issue, have you tried turning off sleep in the energy saver preferences

OP
P
Reaction score
seems to be working!

I must not have had something configured right. It seems to be waking up okay now. Let's just hope it keeps it up! Thanks for the help.

Jackie

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, when left alone for a longer period of time, I had to again revert to pulling the plug. So I'm right back where I started. The computer just REFUSES to wake up. Any suggestions?

Jackie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The sleep problem is one you strike with USB PCI cards. Sonnet seem to make the best of a poor lot. Why not get an external Firewire drive? Will be faster to back up and with your operating system cloned, will also be bootable. USB will never boot a DA.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/782844?threadID=782844

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.