streaming video from macbook to TV

Reaction score
Hey all, recently got a Macbook Pro and I'm loving it.
I'd like to know, what's the best way to go about streaming video (avi, mkv, mp4) from my Macbook to my TV? In other words, what hardware plays nicest with OSX while supporting all the standard video formats? (Unfortunately Apple TV does not fulfill the latter :Angry:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome.

TV2 and AirFlick will do all apart from .avi. AirFlick will recode .avi on the fly but still is pretty unstable ATM.

Or a ALL-IN-ONE device have a look at the WD TV Live. Doesnt support QuickTime movies though. Might sort you out but as you can see there isnt a clear cut something that can support everything

Hope it points you in the right direction.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
TV2 - .flv???

C

chas_m

While it's great that you can use Airflick, what's the big deal about transcoding? I throw any video files I want to see into iFFmpeg or Permute, go to bed, next morning I sync to iPad and/or throw to AppleTV. Not a big deal, and I like having it now in a "portable" format for various devices.

Reaction score
Streaming your Media from Mac to TV

hey brotherwinter,

I have a solution for you.

You can use Orb BR disk to stream local / online content from your Mac to your TV (it supports almost all the formats except the DRM content)

Of course, you should have a Blu-ray players like PS3 or basic blu-ray player which should have a feature BD Live 2.0.

For PS3, they have released the BR disk for public but for BR players, they are currently running a beta program.

For more info check out: Orb BR Beta Program

Source: Welcome - Orb * Orb Community - Index page * Welcome to Orb Support Center

Good day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.