Game controller for Mac?

Reaction score
Hi all,

At home I have a Mac mini (current model) OS 10.6.

I have been shopping for a game controller but have not found one that is compatible with most games for the Mac.

I tried the Macally IshockX but it does not seem to work.

Before buying this controller I went to Best Buy, Frys, and even the Apple Store near me and none of them had a controller that would work. Although someone did suggest the Game controller for the Xbox 360, but at the time I thought how could a Microsoft game controller work for a Mac??....LOL.

I buy all my games from the App Store. I understand that it partly depends on the developer which game controller will work, but there has to be one that works on most games out there for the Mac. I can't believe there isn't a wide selection of controllers for the Mac out there! Why aren't there?

Anyway, I would appreciate some support with this.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The reason we haven't seen more compatible game controllers for the Mac is that most of the 3D graphic action games have been for Windows. However, since the Mac platform is becoming more popular for gaming, that should change.

Do some searching.... there are several utilities which enable most game controllers to be used with your Mac. Take a look at this one available from the App store. LINK

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have one of the Logitechs that I got from Best Buy. Works great in Lion in GTA Vice City and a few other games I play.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.