Rapid Decrease in Speed

Reaction score
Hi guys, New Member with a problem.

I have an iMac 11,Intel Core i5, recently moved over from Windows.

I have noticed a rapid decrease in the processing speed upon booting during the last few months, and during my day to day use of applications - mostly digital photography, miniDV programs. I do edit a lot of TIFF, PSD and RAW files in Photoshop and Digital Photo Professional as well as some Mini DV editing on iMovie. I first noticed the lethargic feeling occur around a few months ago when I was 'stabilizing' clips in iMovie.

As a result it started taking forever to pick up a piece on the timeline and move things or even play them back instantly. So I ended up deleting the whole project, which I think seemed to do the trick for a while, but it wasn't it's usual self.

Now I'm having the same slow problem, I assume this can only be with the Photoshop/ Digital Photo Professional route in which a lot of heavy files are layered and applied with a number of windows open at once.

Whilst I am considering an upgrade to my RAM, (currently using the 4GB standard) I wanted to check in with the experts and see whether the slow speed could be something else altogether.

I considered defragmenting, but I noticed there was something that said you didn't need to? I'm a little confused as to what's the best route. On a PC, I'd have probably gone down this route and checked what processes were running.

As I'm not 100 clued up on the Mac terminology of processes a few led me to this site with other examples of users mentioning keyloggers or slow speeds so thought I would post mine to see if anyone can help me work out if the problem is really just to do with the heavy workflow or something more serious.

Thankyou for your time, I appreciate any advice or support.

http://galleryxlondon.com/terminalhelp.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How much memory do you have and what's going on in the system? How about hard drive space? How much have you used and what remains?

To find out what's going on in the system, open your Activity Monitor.app from Applications, Utilities. Look for any high percentage of usage of a running process or program.

Sometimes we forget apps that are in the Login folder, so take a look there also. System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And are you running antivirus software by chance, or downloaded cleaning programs and/or one of the latest malware threats, MACProtrctor, MacDefender or MacSecurity?

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks for the assistance.

In regards to space there is well over 500GB of HDD Space Remaining on a 1TB drive.
RAM is 4GB standard.

When Photoshop is on that seems to be the highest percentage aswell as Firefox.

Not using any antivirus or antispyware/malware/ad-aware softwares. Would it be wise to do so? I didn't think Mac's needed any.
What would be worth downloading in regards to this current issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free OnyX maintenance and cleanup utility and run it. Read directions. Clean out the caches and generally follow what OnyX recommends.

As far as using any kind of AV or anti-malware software, that's entirely up to you, however, before doing so, be sure to read our Sticky regarding that same subject.

OP
I
Reaction score
I will run the Onyx utility and report back.

In regards to the earlier post - I attach an example of my Activity Monitor. Bear in mind when Photoshop is on this the numbers fluctuate from 0.5 to about 53 % and becomes the most used application.

I can't see anything 'shady' in the monitor window, but maybe someone else can confirm this.

activitymonitor.jpg

P.S. Also something I just figured out. Is it possible the decrease would occur due to a cluttered DESKTOP? Although Folders are Colour Coded and Organized, there is something like 40-50 on my Desktop.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
P.S. Also something I just figured out. Is it possible the decrease would occur due to a cluttered DESKTOP? Although Folders are Colour Coded and Organized, there is something like 40-50 on my Desktop.

No doubt about it. Remove all the clutter from your desktop and let's see if things speed up somewhat.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

No doubt about it. Remove all the clutter from your desktop and let's see if things speed up somewhat.

Agreed. For myself, there is no doubt. Keeping a bunch of stuff on your desktop is a big mistake related to keeping your machine running fast and smooth, no matter the OS you're running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" macbook pro (2010) 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gb RAM, 500GB HD.
Agreed. For myself, there is no doubt. Keeping a bunch of stuff on your desktop is a big mistake related to keeping your machine running fast and smooth, no matter the OS you're running.

What is this, 1998?

Completely not true.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not even going to explain why you think this is the case?

Based on my now 30 yrs experience using home computers, few years spent providing certified tech support, and still the guy to call when there's an issue needed at the office and for practically all my friends and family.

One of the common denominators of those that complain about their systems being slow is a cluttered desktop. I've seen it over and over again and I am far from being alone in this among those that provide tech support and/or computer repair.

I'll keep my desktop pretty clean, tyvm. If you don't experience system slow downs with 50-100 items or more sitting on your desktop, all I can say is go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't want to be rude bobtomay, you provide great information on this forum in the many posts I've seen by you.
But I think what you're experiencing is confirmation bias, you've seen people who don't know how to maintain systems and at the same time clutter their desktop with every shortcut, folder and icon they use, their computers may be slow, but not as a consequence of this.
It's probably just incidental to their lack of care for their systems.

I too do tech for a living and i've never seen the number of desktop icons affecting the speed of the computer, except in older machines where the graphics chips are so old the draw time on the icons slows down (normally just at the startup) the computer, abeit briefly.

I have several sandbox systems, I run 3, 24" monitors and on these the desktops are a war zone of icons and folders, I notice no difference on these either.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Reaction score
I too do tech for a living and i've never seen the number of desktop icons affecting the speed of the computer..

This isn't something that bobtomay made up. Anyone who has been doing support for many OS X users for a long time has seen it.

Here are some citations:

A simple but effective Mac speed-up tip - Mac OS X Hints

Top OS X tips | Utilities - Page 1 | Macworld

Performance tip: Keep the Desktop clutter-free (empty, if possible) | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2016994?threadID=2016994&tstart=60

Some discussion about it on my Web site:

OS X Maintenance And Troubleshooting
Item# 8

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What is this, 1998?

Completely not true.

Instead of saying what "bobtomay" said is not true...why not "dig up" some resources (internet links) that support your side of the discussion? Saying someone is wrong without any proof is pointless and unfair!:(

Take a look at all of the links "Randy B. Singer" thoughtfully supplied...and I think that proves "bobtomay's" point...that keeping your Macintosh's desktop clear of unnecessary clutter is a way of maximizing performance.

Let's please see your side of the discussion...opinions are fine...but provide links to back up those opinions!:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Answers.com - Do icons on your desktop slow your computer down

Do desktop icons slow down laptop? - Yahoo! Answers
Does a lot of things in my unused desktop slow my comp.down? - Yahoo! Answers
Will a lot of Desktop icons slow down my computer? - Yahoo! Answers

The general consensus is that it doesn't, not unless you're on a very old computer.

The point is the OP won't be getting slowdowns because of it, the dashboard likely uses more memory, even with the default icons.

This single safari window I'm typing in now uses more CPU/memory.

So the idea that a cluttered desktop is crippling a new quad core iMac is absurd.

Reaction score
The general consensus is that it doesn't, not unless you're on a very old computer.

All of your citations are for Windows computers and are non-authoritative. All of mine were specifically for the Macintosh and were from authoritative sources.

I doubt that you can find even one authoritative source, referring to the Macintosh specifically, that says that cluttering your desktop with icons doesn't slow it down. This is a well-known phenomenon among Macintosh users. It isn't the least bit controversial (unlike several other maintenance procedures for the Macintosh, such as repairing permissions). I suggest that you actually read the links that I cited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did read them, they're all half a decade old and what, 2 or 3 osx versions back?

It may well have been a problem in the past, but my point is it's highly unlikely to be the OP's problem.

Reaction score
I did read them, they're all half a decade old and what, 2 or 3 osx versions back?

It may well have been a problem in the past, but my point is it's highly unlikely to be the OP's problem.

I haven't read anything (from Apple's technotes, developer notes, or elsewhere) that this problem has been addressed. Have you?

I agree that it is unlikely to be the OP's problem, but it was a good suggestion by bobtomay in that it is an easy thing to check, it doesn't cost anything to do, and you don't even need a utility to deal with it. Cleaning off one's desktop is definitely worth a try when one is experiencing a slowdown, especially since it has been shown to work for others in the past.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.