getting rid of Intego icon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Okay so I uninstalled Intego virus barrier,by dragging it to trash,emptying it, and used appzapper. All is gone as far as I know. However on the very top of my notebook where the time, date, bluetooth etc, is the Intego Icon. How do I get rid of it? Thanks ahead for your input.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'm sure that thing could be found with some searching. The best way with practically "every" app that has an installer is to use it's own uninstaller. I'd recommend reinstalling this one and do that.

Of the 3 apps it puts on your machine, open the one that is called "VirusBarrier" without the X6 on the end of it. You will be presented with a screen to uninstall the software.

I will say after installing it here - and looking around at it only briefly, it's a pretty impressive looking app. I've gone and stopped everything in it so it's not chewing up resources, but I'm going to spend some more time with it before I delete it - see if it's something I could actually recommend to those that feel they just "have" to have something on their Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I echo what bobtomay said, probably best to use the uninstaller whenever possible, especially for something as system level as a anti-virus software. If you just delete it, you could risk some system instability or other issues.

Reaction score
Ran uninstaller, still have bits of virus barrier left

I ran Intego's uninstaller but I still have at least three visible pieces of Virus Barrier left.

In the Activity Monitor I can see processes called virusbarrierh, virusbarrierd, and virusbarriers. If I force stop them they come right back, so I assume they are protected somehow, maybe by a kernel extension.

I wonder how I can get rid of these once and for all?

OP
firesidedog
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Solved! I went to a web site that removed Intego's residual on mybook. If I can only remember the name of that site..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.