• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Opening iMovie 4.0.1 using iMovie 11?

Reaction score
I just bought a Powerbook Pro and iMovie 11 version 9.0.2 is on it. My previous Mac is an iMac from 2004 running OSX 10.4.1., which has iMovie 4.0.1

I have a bunch of iMovie projects on that old iMac. I tried to open and continue them in the new iMovie and they won't open. Is there anyway to transfer the old in-progress working projects over to the new iMovie format?

I don't want to just import the .mov file into the new format. I want to be able to have all the raw footage and the editing storyboard open. Basically I want to open the old iMovie projects using the new iMovie program. I tried drag and drop, opening from within the program, and it doesn't recognize the old projects.

Is there anyway to do this or do I have to re-import all the raw footage into the new program and redo all my storyboards?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I know that you can import iMovie6 projects into iMovie11, but without any of the audio. Try looking in iMovie11 Help and try the same method and see if it works.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks MightyGem, I'll give that a try and see if it'll end up being more time saving than redoing stuff from scratch.

I must say that I'm having a really tough time adjusting to iMovie11. Though more powerful, it's not as intuitive. And cutting and moving clips around seems a lot harder to do.

At the moment, I'm avoiding the issue of updating my projects to '11 by copying my iMovie 4.0.1 onto the new computer and continuing the old projects using that. New projects though I have to use '11 because I can't get 4.0.1 to import things when on this new system without something going wrong with the imported footage, like dropped out sound or dropped out everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.