Installing GCC compiler to usr/local/bin

KBG

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am trying to compile some C code from the terminal, and I am running into trouble. I have installed Xcode, so I have the GCC compiler, but Xcode installs it into /developer/usr/bin. So I used

export PATH=$PATH:/developer/usr/bin

which worked. It found the GCC compiler. Then I had to tell it where my libraries were...so I used

export LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBRARY_PATH:/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/lib

which also worked. But then, if I want to use any header files with #include, it doesn't know where to find them, and I don't know how to tell it where they are.

I am trying to compile the infamous "hello world" program:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
printf("Hello World");

getch();
}

but I don't know where it is looking for the stdio.h file.

It seems like all of this could be prevented if Xcode would just install GCC into the usr/local/bin folder, which is where I think it should be.

Can anyone tell me how to make this happen? Or do I need to reinstall OS X and specify that I want GCC etc. installed?

Thank you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
GCC should be symlinked to a version specific binary in /usr/bin. For instance, /usr/bin/gcc is symlinked to /usr/bin/gcc-4.2 on my machine.

If Xcode is installer properly, everything should be linked as it should be. If you execute the following at the command line, what do you get?
Code:
whereis gcc

OP
K

KBG

Reaction score
Ok...never mind.

Well, I re-installed Xcode, and now everything works without my having to redirect paths and such. I don't know why, but it works!

OP
K

KBG

Reaction score
Right, Vansmith, now it says /usr/bin/gcc when I submit

whereis gcc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.