macbook pro 15" unibody possibly overheating/shutting down?

Reaction score
I have the 15" macbook pro 2.4 ghz i5, 4 gb RAM and a 330m GT.

I've been using windows 7 in bootcamp to play some games and I have run into no problems running Crysis 1/2, Call of duty 4/ Black ops, Batman AA, Fallout NV, etc...

They've all had good enough FPS to be playable on my MBP (gameplay > graphics is the way I think of it)

The only problem I've run into is playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2. I ran into someone on youtube who mentioned in order to be able to play BC2 you'd have to overclock your GPU. I did so but noticed the temperatures were quite high so I also downloaded Lubbos Fan Control and that helped somewhat.

Now my problem is, I can run the game perfectly fine on low settings and get a decent FPS where I can still play the game and have a blast, but randomly, at some point in time my macbook will freeze and start producing a very loud buzzing sound and my only option is to hold the power button and restart it.

Here is a video I took with my phone (so the quality sucks) of this after it happened:
YouTube - macbook pro overheating issue bad company 2

Now when that happened that time, it crashed while only 72 degrees and the GPU usage was only at around 60%

Is this even overheating? The guy on youtube has the exact same model as me and he is able to play the game without this happening, so could this be a hardware problem?

Here are links to his videos:
YouTube - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Gameplay - 2010 MacBook Pro 15" Overclocked GT 330M
YouTube - How to overclock NVidia 330M - Macbook Pro 2010 15"

Hopefully someone can help me figure this out. thanks if you can provide any input.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
you should not have to overclock at all. You may have damaged the hardware by doing this in the first place. just turn the graphics settings down. in particular turn off AA, hardware shadows, textures.

oh, and uninstall fan controllers.

OP
F
Reaction score
you should not have to overclock at all. You may have damaged the hardware by doing this in the first place. just turn the graphics settings down. in particular turn off AA, hardware shadows, textures.

oh, and uninstall fan controllers.

I had my settings all on as low as possible with everything like AA and bloom turned off and run at the lowest resoloution and it still would have a severe heating problem or something forcing the hardware on my macbook to freeze up. After seeing this happen without overclocking or anything I went online to that find that youtube user saying he needed to overclock his GPU to get it to play properly. Once I had done this it reduced the problem and delayed it from happening quite a bit. I'd only be able to play for about 5-10 minutes without overclocking and when it would freeze up there would be an incredibly loud buzzing sound coming from it, when overclocked I could get usually a game or two in lasting anywhere from half an hour to over an hour, and when it would finally end up freezing up, the buzzing sound is still there, but not as severe, but still caused the entire computer to freeze and stop working. I'm assuming this had to be a hardware problem caused prior to any overclocking because overclocking it started to make it perform better than without. I think I'm going to take it back to the apple store and have them take a look at it. Great timing as my university semester just started last week and I was hoping on using it for that :Angry-Tongue:

Also, the sound it makes can be found in the first youtube video I linked to. It has a pretty distinct sound, I've never heard a macbook sound anything like that...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.