I can't find my photos! HELP!!! :(

Reaction score
I have a 10.4
Yesterday I renamed Movies, Pictures, Applications and ''home''. After that I had a little problem with Safari, but I fixed it in the Keychain by repairing it.

Today when I turned on my computer, all of my pictures were gone, but I still have my movies and all the other applications. It's just the photos missing and I haven't had them in iPhoto.
Weird, but I can still change my desktop image from a folder that I can't find.

What happened? Where are my pictures and why I can see (some of) them only when I try to change my desktop photo?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I have a 10.4
Yesterday I renamed Movies, Pictures, Applications and ''home''. After that I had a little problem with Safari, but I fixed it in the Keychain by repairing it.

Today when I turned on my computer, all of my pictures were gone, but I still have my movies and all the other applications. It's just the photos missing and I haven't had them in iPhoto.
Weird, but I can still change my desktop image from a folder that I can't find.

What happened? Where are my pictures and why I can see (some of) them only when I try to change my desktop photo?

When you're say they're "gone" - what does that mean? You renamed the Pcitures folder - which I assume had some file structure beneath it housing your images - along with the iPhoto package file. Is that renamed folder still there?

OP
Betty Lenon
Reaction score
When you're say they're "gone" - what does that mean? You renamed the Pcitures folder - which I assume had some file structure beneath it housing your images - along with the iPhoto package file. Is that renamed folder still there?

The Pictures folder had folders inside it with my personal photos. Now, all I can see there is my iPhoto Library folder (but there's nothing in it 'cause I didn't have them there). Yes, ''Pictures'' is still in my finder sidebar

Thank you for the reply!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
The Pictures folder had folders inside it with my personal photos. Now, all I can see there is my iPhoto Library folder (but there's nothing in it 'cause I didn't have them there). Yes, ''Pictures'' is still in my finder sidebar

Thank you for the reply!

Ugh - just saw my gross typo.

Anyway - Maybe I'm a little slow this morning (as is the norm) but I'm still confused about what you actually did. You stated you 'renamed' your Pictures folder - but then it's still there in your sidebar. What did you rename that folder to? Is that renamed folder still where you left it?

OP
Betty Lenon
Reaction score
Ugh - just saw my gross typo.

Anyway - Maybe I'm a little slow this morning (as is the norm) but I'm still confused about what you actually did. You stated you 'renamed' your Pictures folder - but then it's still there in your sidebar. What did you rename that folder to? Is that renamed folder still where you left it?

No problem :)

I've renamed the ''Pictures'' folder in the sidebar, yes. It's still there, but what was INSIDE it isn't where it should be anymore. You know, you click the folder in the sidebar and it shows you what you've got inside them on the right.
I still have my music, movies, everything. Just the photos are missing, all my .jpeg's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Do you remember the name of one of those files? You can do a Finder search for that file and at the bottom of the Finder window it will show the path so you can see where exactly they are located.

OP
Betty Lenon
Reaction score
Do you remember the name of one of those files? You can do a Finder search for that file and at the bottom of the Finder window it will show the path so you can see where exactly they are located.

I did so and nothing shows up. I've also had a few videos between the photos, and they're nowhere to be found either.
The weirdest thing is that one of the folders (just a folder with holidays photos) is still there when I want to change my desktop (in system preferences>desktop and screen saver) and I can indeed use them as wallpapers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Perhaps dumb question but, have you tried renaming the folder back to its original "Pictures" ?

Doug

OP
Betty Lenon
Reaction score
Perhaps dumb question but, have you tried renaming the folder back to its original "Pictures" ?

Doug

Yes, I did. I did that yesterday and my photos were still there. After turning off my computer last night and turning it on again today, I can't find them anymore

OP
Betty Lenon
Reaction score
Recover from renaming your Home folder

And don't ever do that again without doing it properly.

Here's how to do that correctly:

Mac OS X: How to change user short name or home directory name

The thing is, after restarting my computer today, the old shortname is back. Should I still follow those steps? Also, could you please explain a little bit the steps? It scares the crap out of me. I'm afraid I'll really lose EVERYTHING if I do something wrong.

What I understand from the steps is:
1. Open Finder
2. Go to ''Home''
3.Go to ''get info'' and add ''_new'' to the shortname
4. (this one makes me a bit confused) After adding ''_new'' rename it again to the very first shortname
5. Log out and back in as I would normally do

Again, after turning on my computer, the old shortname was back. It wasn't the new one I've given to it last night. And it's only the pictures folder that's screwed up :(

Thank you so much! You really showed me what I needed!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.