USB 2.0 cardreader not detected by iBook

P

PCJ

Hi,

I have an iBook G4, and tried to connect my generic USB 2.0 Cardreader to it. However, it was not detected as a removable drive.
I thought OSX had generic drivers for a device like this one? What can I do to get it to be detected? The only type of card I really care about is SD, even though the cardreader has slots for just about anything.

My detailed specs, in case it matters:

iBook G4 12"
1.2ghz
256mb
30gb
OSX 10.3.9

thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
PCJ said:
Hi,

I have an iBook G4, and tried to connect my generic USB 2.0 Cardreader to it. However, it was not detected as a removable drive.
I thought OSX had generic drivers for a device like this one?
Not necessarily. Do you know the brand name of it? You might want to go to the manufacturer's site and see if they have drivers/software that you can download for Mac.
You might also want to try connecting the Camera/device that you are using the card with to the Mac to see if it reads it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Silly question time: Do you have an SD card plugged into the reader? Unlike Windows in mac card readers and other removable media drives only show up when there is media in them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah I ran into this too:

The device ay be working fine - but OS X only shows connected volumes - not drives.
So unless you've inserted a card, you won't notice if it's working or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Aptmunich said:
Yeah I ran into this too:

The device ay be working fine - but OS X only shows connected volumes - not drives.
So unless you've inserted a card, you won't notice if it's working or not.
Absolutely. Which my opinion is better than the way Windows does it. I have an 8-in-1 card reader and one time I plugged it into a Windows machine and it added 8 drives. Just stupid in my opinion.

OP
P

PCJ

Yes, I have a card in it. It's a Kingston SD card with a bunch of pictures on it.

Maybe I have actually ran across a USB device that isn't compatible with a mac? That would be a first-timer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Now that is weird...
I have a hama card reader and it shows up fine...
Have you tried a different usb port?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
also try it on another computer to make sure it is still working. Card readers are the one accessory that I always find to die on me. I think I am on my 5th or 6th card reader because the old ones will either show up, but screw up all files upon importing, or not show up at all

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.