MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009) USB "loose"

Reaction score
I'm gonna need a lot of help from you guys. Both of my USB ports on my MacBook Pro are "loose". When I move any USB cable the SLIGHTEST bit, it shows that it disconnects. I don't believe the USB port was pushed in in any way. I think it's been this way for about a few weeks. The reason why it started happening, I don't know for sure. But I think after all the times my laptop has slid off my lap and landed sideways on my bed, it must have bent the USB port out of place or something.

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a complete newbie at hardware so I'll need all the help I can get.

I would like to know how to fix it and maybe a step-by-step guide in explicit detail (e.g. where to solder what if necessary).

And yes, I've taken it to the Apple Store. They said it would cost $280 to fix. Forget that.

I have never soldered before since I don't have a soldering iron myself, but my friend has one and has some experience. And why I keep mentioning soldering is because that is the only thing I read when I was searching throughout the internet to find out how to fix something like this.

Thank you very much to anyone who contributes to helping me solve this problem.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Have you checked to see how the USB ports are mounted and wired? It may not be something that can be soldered. Go to the ifixit web site and look for the take apart instructions for your 13" 2009 MBP. That should give you some idea on how to go about doing the repair.

iFixit: The free repair manual

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.