Refurb iPhone 3GS battery life bad...or is this normal?

Reaction score
Hi, I'm hoping some fellow 3GS owners can help me on this one. I just treated myself and bought a refurb one as I've seen how useful it is when repairing them...

However, the battery life doesn't appear to be great. It's been on charge for about 6 hours and I took it off about an hour ago and haven't used it since - it's been sleeping. Battery is down to 90% already...

I've cycled it a couple of times to calibrate the 'fuel gauge', and the same thing happens. In fact, the fuel gauge seems to be spot as it hits 1% and then shuts down

Using about 10 mins phone calls, maybe 10 texts and listening to music at the lowest volume for 3hrs (I have very sensitive earphones!), it doesn't get past 3pm when taking it off charge at 8am.

I'm wondering if I should take it back and get it replaced, or is this normal? 3G is on, Wi-Fi searching is off, screen is on half brightness and I'm not using GPS. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
Battery

Unless you are utilising it, click 3G to off, it sucks the battery quickly;P

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Does a refurb mean that they replace the battery as well? If not and it's the original battery, then the battery life you are talking about totally makes sense..

I've got a iPhone 3G that is now 2+ years old with the original battery that is used by my wife has a iPod Touch..From a full charge she can get about 2 hours of basic browsing and mail life out of it..if she uses it for Pandora to stream music, then about 30-45 mins is the max life before it shuts down..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 4gig,Mac OS X Maverick, Macbook Intel 2gig, iPhone 3G
My own, which is an earlier model, 3G, is 3yrs old now, if 3G is turned off, I get two days still, if its on, only about 6hrs

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll switch 3G off. Is there any way to tell it to only enable 3G on demand? My old Nokia N95 could do this, and it saved a lot of battery life.

I don't use push notifications or automatic mail fetching, so it's no loss having the connection only on demand.

Does a refurb mean that they replace the battery as well? If not and it's the original battery, then the battery life you are talking about totally makes sense..
I was told that it's got a new battery in there and whatever external parts are required to make it look new again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3g

Short answer, no. You will have to do it manually through settings

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.