• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Changes to 2011 iMac deter main drive upgrades

Reaction score
Changes to 2011 iMac deter main drive upgrades

imac2011.jpg
Apple has made modifications to the 2011 iMac which essentially prevent people from doing third-party upgrades to the main hard drive, according to upgrade vendor Other World Computing. The flaw is said to lay with the SATA power connector for the main bay, which has switched from a 4-pin configuration to 7-pin. In combination with proprietary Apple firmware on stock hard drives, the special power cable helps to control fans which regulate drive temperature....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm betting that we'll see some viable work arounds to swapping out the primary hard drive before too long. But it is interesting that Apple chose to do this as it almost makes purchasing Apple care a must.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I was not aware Apple would let you take an iMac to them and upgrade the drive. I was under the impression places like OWC was the only option.

I wounder if apple is trying to make more profit on the units by trying to force your hand to buy bigger more expensive drives from them at time of purchase.

i am now Glad i own a 2010 model until there is a firmware and adapter cable to solve this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There's something not quite right about this report. First, it's referred to as a "flaw", when really it sounds deliberate. Secondly, a commenter in that MacNN report referred to a thread on MacRumors that seems to contradict some of these new claims. Here's the thread… be sure to read it entirely through:
2011 iMac Hard Drive Upgrade, Fan Issues - MacRumors Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks lifeisabeach. That thread from MacRumors is a good one. However, it's my belief that we will see some more work arounds in the near future. For now though, it seems the easiest solution is to use SMCFanControl to control the HD fan if you should decide to swap out the original HD.

As for me, I would just add a nice SSD to that second bay and boot from it. Should actually be an easy install without fear of driving the fans crazy.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I agree that the comment about a custom connector was bit misleading, but that apple is using a few of the unused pins in the connector to transmit temp. and sounds like a custom firmware to transmit said data in a specific way. But it is interesting that the 2tb wd black worked with out a problem in the Hardware test.

It would be interesting to see the manufacture date on said drive to see if maybe WD put the temp programming in the firmware on that drive after developing it for Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree that the comment about a custom connector was bit misleading, but that apple is using a few of the unused pins in the connector to transmit temp. and sounds like a custom firmware to transmit said data in a specific way. But it is interesting that the 2tb wd black worked with out a problem in the Hardware test.

It would be interesting to see the manufacture date on said drive to see if maybe WD put the temp programming in the firmware on that drive after developing it for Apple.

The last-gen iMacs had thermal monitoring that used cabling that was brand-specific. You can't pop a WD drive in an iMac that has a Seagate. This is rather inconvenient and limiting one's options, including Apple's, and likely raises their production costs. I'm betting what's going on here is that they've eliminated the need for that cable by taking advantage of unused pins on the SATA cable, and furthermore this is simply a new spec that all the drive manufacturers will be using, but is so new that they haven't released firmware updates yet for drives on the market though the very latest out of the factory do have it. This seems more plausible to me than Apple just doing it just to force people into lining their pockets some more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I would agree. but it was also mentioned by OWC that apple had apple specific Firmware on the Drive itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would agree. but it was also mentioned by OWC that apple had apple specific Firmware on the Drive itself.

Is it truly Apple-proprietary, or they simply don't recognize it and assumed it is? If it is Apple-proprietary, then it makes no sense that a couple people now have no problem using their replacement drives. Well anywho, I suspect we'll know something more definitive in the next few days.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, whatever Apple is doing at this point isn't very transparent, and only serves to make a fairly basic update (which is a bit more difficult because of the form factor) even more difficult to work with. If provisions are made in order to ensure that there are no purposeful restrictions as such, then I'll be fine with whatever they're doing.

But if this is some sort of power play, then I'll not be handing my money over to Apple for an new iMac. This certainly would have me looking into an Windows machine for photo editing, for sure.

I look forward to hearing that this is just being blown out of proportion and that Apple isn't going back to their proprietary ways.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
So, it's just a matter of a harddrive coming with a sensor inside, and a different version of an sata cable to accept the additional temperature wire. If so, I can see some vendor creating an add-on to allow other hdds, or even an adapter to allow an alternate, outside temp sensor.

WIth that said, I think this is a bad move.

Reaction score
The way I see it:

iMac is the computer that Windows-switchers go to buy most often. And it seems that of those switchers, most of them know very little about computers. (On the other hand, there are some of us who like the simplicity of an all-in-one simply for space-saving measures, and this latest iMac is to help make more profit for Apple. I think you see where I'm going with this.)

As for the other Mac computers (except MacBook Air):

The Mac Pro, the Mac mini and the MacBook/MacBook Pro can be tinkered with, including hard drive swaps (if I'm not mistaken), and therefore are meant for the more computer saavy.

I know all of this sounds a little farfetched, but that's how I see it up to this point. And if Apple spreads this across its entire line requiring users to bring in the computer just for a simple hard drive upgrade, I don't see many more people switching over up to this point, not unless this new design of hardware spreads to the other manufacturers and becomes the norm.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It's looking more like OWC dropped the ball here. Read this post and the subsequent ones:
Hard drive upgrades restricted in Apple's new Thunderbolt iMacs - AppleInsider
In particular this post
The OWC report is quite inaccurate and I wish they did some more testing or at least read the forums before creating mass panic.

The SATA data connectors are very standard and so is the SATA power cable feeding the hard drive. The only difference is that they used 7 wires instead of 5, probably some extra grounds.

I installed a Vertex3 SSD and used a plain 4 wire Y-splitter sata power cable which effectively discards the 3.3V from the apple's wiring and only feeds 5V and 12V to the original drive. Guess what, fan speed is as quiet as it can get and the Apple Hardware Test passes successfully.

I went further and moved the internal HDD from SATA0 to SATA1 port to better accommodate the SATA connector for the SSD and this didn't create any adverse effects.

Another member of the forum swapped the 1TB WD Black with a 2TB WD Black and again, no adverse effect, Hardware Test completed successfully.

With the SSD in place now, the only thing I can hear is my breath reflected by the glass screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
In particular this post

I'd like to see further posts along the same lines confirming what this person is saying. I find it hard to believe that there's absolutely nothing to what the techs at OWC have reported. Does it boil down to specific drives? Configurations? It's certain that something has changed, and until we have absolute facts, I'd sooner trust the tech's at OWC who do what they do for a living, than one or two people who could simply be apologists and might by chance leave out a few details here and there.

Not that I'm calling that poster a liar.. just that they have only dealt with a very limited (one replacement drive?) supply of replacement parts and could in fact have missed something along the way. Only time will tell though.

I just can't see purchasing another MacBook Pro and having to deal with dying batteries anymore. If I have to purchase an Mac Pro in order to get the kind of flexibility I need, I'm going to feel a bit alienated.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Not that I'm calling that poster a liar.. just that they have only dealt with a very limited (one replacement drive?) supply of replacement parts and could in fact have missed something along the way. Only time will tell though.

Doug

I do agree with you here, but im just trying to be optimistic about it all. Older members know my stance on Apples constricting behaviour so if this opens it up a bit to be less restrictive in there ways then i will sleep easier at night . . . .
I do hope he has stumbled onto something and do believe OWC have done there job.
Yet again it will be a waiting game.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.