Best Fitness / Weight Loss App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 16GB WiFi (White), MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS 16GB (White), iPod Nano (Orange), [MacBook]
I'm looking for an app that can do the following:

- Allow me to input how many calories I have eaten per day (possibly with estimates - eg if you eat out at a restaurant then won't know the calories, but the app could know roughly how many calories a steak has, etc)
- Allow me to input how many calories I have burnt (again, possibly calculate them for me for weight machines - as some machines don't show no. of calories burned)
- Allow other info such as height, weight, age (and take it into account)
- Provide an analysis with info, how many calories I should be eating, how long it will takes to lose 1lb, 2lb, etc, (maybe even options - if you do this you will lose around 1lb a week, but if you do this you will lose around 2lb per week)
- Provide progress reports / log

I've found a few crappy apps that don't really do this well enough (basically just the same features as Notes, with you writing all the info down - pointless, might as well use notes)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I was actually just reading about one last night that is currently at the top of the paid apps chart for the iPhone. It looks like it will meet your needs, though it's not iPad-optimized. Here's a review of it:
Full Fitness: Turn Your iPhone into the Perfect Workout Buddy | iPhone.AppStorm

On the flip side, the user reviews in the App Store are accusing the developer of posting fake reviews and this being a copy of an app no longer on the App Store. Not sure what's up with all that.

EDIT: Actually there is an iPad version.

2nd edit: Looks like the original iFitness was yanked from the App Store due to some unknown rule violations. It was sold to another developer, who has repackaged it as Full Fitness. More on the drama:
http://jheintz.icyber.co/2011/02/18/ifitness-is-now-full-fitness-2/

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm looking for an app that can do the following:

- Allow me to input how many calories I have eaten per day (possibly with estimates - eg if you eat out at a restaurant then won't know the calories, but the app could know roughly how many calories a steak has, etc)
- Allow me to input how many calories I have burnt (again, possibly calculate them for me for weight machines - as some machines don't show no. of calories burned)
- Allow other info such as height, weight, age (and take it into account)
- Provide an analysis with info, how many calories I should be eating, how long it will takes to lose 1lb, 2lb, etc, (maybe even options - if you do this you will lose around 1lb a week, but if you do this you will lose around 2lb per week)
- Provide progress reports / log

I've found a few crappy apps that don't really do this well enough (basically just the same features as Notes, with you writing all the info down - pointless, might as well use notes)

MyNetDiary is the best APP I have used/seen for recording calorie consumption and exercise expenditure. Having said that, I don't think it is really possible to do what you want to do. It just isn't as simple as calories in vs calories out.

For one thing, your basal metabolic rate is not a static thing. There are so many factors that ultimately go into determining what it takes for you as an individual to lose (and keep off) one pound that in reality you are an experimental test case for weight loss whenever and whatever program you choose to adopt.

Bottomline: IMO decide what you are going to do, keep track of what you have done, be consistent and monitor the results, adjusting as needed. But, trying to precompute results I believe is a waste of time and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.