Which Mini mac to get?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black
I am looking to get a Mac Mini for work, and am looking at the specs.

If I get the dual hard drive version, is it thicker? ie, taller?

If I get the server version, can I run it as a standalone machine to start with, and then have it in server mode for 2/3 terminals later?

All help much appreciated

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Don't know much about specs, but these are still running old C2D processors. If you can, I would wait to see if they get a refresh soon to the i-series processors.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Which Mini to get?...there's really not that many models to choose from...so the decision shouldn't be too difficult.;)

Regarding the hard drives. With the dual hard drive version/the server version...the optical drive (DVD/CD drive) is removed & a 2nd hard drive installed. So no...it wouldn't be thicker.

Also (IMHO) I wouldn't get the server "Mac-Mini" (two hard drives)...since it doesn't even have the slot cut into the housing to insert a DVD/CD disk...if at some later time you wanted to install an optical drive (requiring the removal of one of the hard drives).

I would simply buy the non-server Mac-Mini...remove the optical drive...and then install a 2nd HD (may need some sort of install kit). Then you could always switch back to the optical drive later if you wanted to.

Of course this really depends on your needs & how much "tinkering" you do with your computers. And of course...if you NEED a server...then the Mac-Mini server version comes loaded with the Snow Leopard Server software. Just realize that the Mac-Mini server has no CD/DVD drive.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you want the dual drive/server mini, you are better off getting a USB optical drive if you want/need the optical drive, not buying the base mini and swapping it for a 2nd drive.

But, setting up the Server mini is a complete PITA. The restore media is on DVDs, not a USB drive like the driveless Air. Plus the drives aren't set up in a RAID from the factory, they are set up as 2 separate drives.

And if you want to install plain Snow Leopard (not Server) you have to trick it. Use a computer that can install SL, and put the Server in Target Disk mode, and install, then update, before you can actually boot the Mini on its own. All this hard work because the retail SL doesn't come with a new enough version of SL.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you want the dual drive/server mini, you are better off getting a USB optical drive if you want/need the optical drive, not buying the base mini and swapping it for a 2nd drive.

Yes...this is probably a better solution in the long run. Just slightly more money for the external optical drive.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 3.06 i3 4gb, MacBook Pro 13" 2.4 i5 4gb, iPad2 32GB 3G black, iPhone 4S 16GB black
Thanks for the info.

I think, having read your replies, I just need the standard Mini with the optical drive.

Is the Mini due an update? Everything else has had one ;P

Pete

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.