MF News Bot and Apple Rumors and Reports

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Seems to me that MF News Bot has given Apple Rumors and Reports a really impersonal feel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Care to elaborate?

I should share that we've seen more participation and discussion in that forum from a statistical standpoint than prior to the bot's news feed. So it seems to be a positive for most people.

I'm curious to understand why you feel it's impersonal. Is it just the name? Are you aware that a person actually curates the news the bot posts? Is it the type of news? Or something else?

Also moved to a better forum.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Amazing the tone that can come out when reading something....

I'm curious to understand why you feel it's impersonal. Is it just the name? Are you aware that a person actually curates the news the bot posts? Is it the type of news? Or something else?

Anyway, the "bot", has no opinion, no comment, just the rumour/report and link.
No contribution whatsoever to the continuing thread.
This to me seems very impersonal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Amazing the tone that can come out when reading something....

You have a history of reading a lot of "tone" into posts that isn't actually intended. Probably should start from the standpoint that there's not one, may help you under react in a way that isn't intended. ;)

Anyway, the "bot", has no opinion, no comment, just the rumour/report and link.
No contribution whatsoever to the continuing thread.
This to me seems very impersonal.

I see thanks for clarifying. The intent of News and Reports is to report the news and allow the community to comment and discuss so it seems to be working as we envisioned it at this point.

I would add that prior to the news bot, a majority of the news threads posted also were without comment, and often without even any text of the article. So overall, the experience isn't much different other than it's not being posted by a fellow Australian. ;)

The new feed does a better job of including article text where copyright allows as well as less biased and more timely news based on the majority national user base of Mac-Forums. For example, rather than a bunch of news being posted overnight the day after it happened or was reported, the reporting is much closer to the time the news is actually made.

The process isn't perfect, but then no process ever is, and we'll constantly be looking at how to improve it.

OP
6string
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have a history of reading a lot of "tone" into posts that isn't actually intended. Probably should start from the standpoint that there's not one, may help you under react in a way that isn't intended. ;)
Only reading what is there.... call that my history.

I see thanks for clarifying. The intent of News and Reports is to report the news and allow the community to comment and discuss so it seems to be working as we envisioned it at this point.
Ok then, what can I say to that.

I would add that prior to the news bot, a majority of the news threads posted also were without comment, and often without even any text of the article. So overall, the experience isn't much different other than it's not being posted by a fellow Australian. ;)

So overall, the experience isn't much different other than it's not being posted by a fellow Australian. ;)
??? Really, that's what you think this is?
ROFL :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So overall, the experience isn't much different other than it's not being posted by a fellow Australian. ;)
??? Really, that's what you think this is?
ROFL :D

Nope, you're again reading more into what I wrote other than the little humor I added at the end (hence the ;) ). Read the entire paragraph instead of pulling things out of context to get the entire meaning.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Round and round we go.. .. ..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I personally think we should be looking at the News Bot not as another user posting link to news and reports but as an automation of information designed to get the "real" users discussing the issues instead. If we look at it that way then I does indeed seem to be working very well. If you look at it as another member though then it possibly will seem a little "impersonal".
Just my take on things ;)

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I personally think we should be looking at the News Bot not as another user posting link to news and reports but as an automation of information designed to get the "real" users discussing the issues instead. If we look at it that way then I does indeed seem to be working very well. If you look at it as another member though then it possibly will seem a little "impersonal".
Just my take on things ;)

- Simon

Thanks Simon.

We could always rename the bot to something more personal and then no one would know it's a bot. :)

j/k

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I vote for "Bob" or if you are all still sure it's a girlbot then "Bobette" :D

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

- Simon

Who was it that said they wanted it to be a girl? We should let them name it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't remember now, it was in a thread started when the Newsbot first came about.
I'll see if I can find the thread again.

- Simon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

- Simon

We could name the News Bot...an androgynous name like "Fred":

- Male = Fred
- Female = Fred (short for Frederica)

We could use some more females around the forum...so I vote for a female bot...or a "Fem-Bot"!;)

- Nick

p.s. "Fembot"...the Austin Powers reference...or maybe the more original reference from the Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman 1970's TV shows.:)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My company calls the IT ticketing system FRED since we'd found that there is a disproportionate number of people named Fred working in IT and when any issue arose the usual statement was to "Ask Fred" about it..:)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The real question is: How does the Bot keep getting Rep? Are people really rep-ing a Bot?

As for the rest, it's doing it's job pretty well, better than was done before....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sir Trevor Macdonaldbot....

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Who was it that said they wanted it to be a girl? We should let them name it. :)

Twas I - although my feelings are hurt that you didn't remember. :'( :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Shall we name it after you then? Perhaps Brianna? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lets make it really controversial and call it "Brianna Montana" ;) haha

- Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.