I am thinking about buying a computer and would like some advice!

Reaction score
I am a Graphics Design student and I am going to get money from Fin Aid that I am going to use to buy a new computer.
What I would like to know is would a Mac Book Pro or an I-mac be good enough to run Lightwave 10 and Adobe CS5. I would rather have a notebook than a desktop computer on top of that the most money I will have all together is gonna be $3200.00 after books n fees.

I discovered that I can get those two software programs at an amazing discount since I am a student but if I do I'll only have about $2500 left for a computer. So I want to get either an I-mac or a Mac Book Pro, If I buy a mac. But I have used PCs all my life till I started college then a few people suggested I switch to Mac. I really don't have enough money for a Mac Pro or else I would buy one.

C

chas_m

Bravo to you for knowing that it's Mac and not MAC, but points subtracted for calling an iMac an I-mac. :)

The MBP will meet your needs very well. So will the iMac.

Now's not a great time to buy a Mac Pro anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I would personally forgo Lightroom. Save the money and get Aperture ($79) in the Mac App Store.

CS5 is the bee's knees. One thing to read in the fine print with the "Student/Education" versions is you cannot upgrade them through the standard Adobe path. I would STILL get it, but I would wait on CS 5.5 which would allow integration with an iPad and special apps - very cool setup.

The Referb path for the MBP would be a nice way to save some money. And yes, they will easily run both applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you NEED the portability, then the MacBook Pro would obviously be your best option. If not needed, then you will probably appreciate the extra screen size on the iMac.

EDIT: One last thought. Worth considering… and iMac and an iPad. Use the iPad for your portable needs (if it meets them), the iMac for your needs with Adobe CS5, et al. As a side note, Adobe recently released some new CS5 apps for the iPad.
http://www.9to5mac.com/65106/adobe-cs5-5-with-more-html5-tools-and-ipad-compatibility-available-now/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
You are absolutely right to look to Macs

I am a photographer with a deep appreciation for the graphics abilities my Mac products show me every day.

Get a MacBook Pro, 15" screen, through the Apple Refurbs program unless their student discount for a new machins beats those prices. All the better if you can get a student discount on a refurb. Get the fastest processor, largest HDD, and most memory you can but know that you can upgrade the memory and HDD size later. Know also that, when finances allow, an external Apple 27" monitor is the end all monitor for graphics use. That can come later as well.

As to software, Adobe Photoshop CS5 is the gold standard, hope you get a good student discount on that.

Also, please get yourself an external HDD for Time Machine backups. You do not want to lose your work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I finished my design degree last year - used an iMac and then a Macbook Pro throughout. The only other thing I would suggest is possibly getting an external monitor if you find the Macbook Pro's screen to be a little small! My 13" MBP + 23" monitor setup works very nicely for my needs. I personally wouldn't buy an Apple monitor though - they're very good, but seriously expensive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I would personally forgo Lightroom. Save the money and get Aperture ($79) in the Mac App Store.

CS5 is the bee's knees. One thing to read in the fine print with the "Student/Education" versions is you cannot upgrade them through the standard Adobe path. I would STILL get it, but I would wait on CS 5.5 which would allow integration with an iPad and special apps - very cool setup.

The Referb path for the MBP would be a nice way to save some money. And yes, they will easily run both applications.

Lightwave is a animation and rendering software, nothing to do with Lightroom.. in either case, I really do prefer Lightroom to Aperture. As a student, btw Lightroom is the same price. Oh and if you're buying CS5 at this point, you more than likely qualify for the free upgrade to 5.5 (even the student/educator version btw). That being said, the iPad apps are integrated with Photoshop 12.0.4 (which is the most current update). I don't recall, off hand, if the apps work in InDesign, Illustrator etc. Personally, I'd get a refurb and use the extra $$$ to get an Intuous.

Reaction score
Couldn't a simple Macbook run those things you mention? I can use CS5 just fine on my 4 year old machine.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Couldn't a simple Macbook run those things you mention? I can use CS5 just fine on my 4 year old machine.

Yes it can. However this machine need to last the OP through college and maybe into his job. Buying something newer will help future proof.

Saving money is great, and that is why everyone here suggested refurbished.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.